- Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
This direct enrollment program is organized through the Galápagos Academic Institute for the Arts and Sciences (GAIAS), a remote campus of the Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ) located on the island of San Cristobal. Before you head to the Galápagos, the program will begin with a month in Quito, where you participate in an orientation, classes at USFQ, and field study excursions. The remaining months are spent on San Cristobal in the Galápagos Islands, although additional field study excursions allow you to spend time in other locations, as determined by your chosen track: Evolution, Ecology and Conservation; Marine Ecology; or People, Politics, and the Environment.
You take 15 credit hours per semester, and all courses are worth 3 credits. Courses are taught through USFQ in a series of five consecutive modules. The first module is taught at a USFQ campus near Quito and the other four are taught at GAIAS on the island of San Cristobal. All courses are taught in English. The program offers the following tracks, which each consist of five course modules. Because tracks are designed to provide an academic focus, you can only substitute up to two courses of your track with courses from another track, as long as you meet all prerequisites and there are no scheduling conflicts. Additional non-credit elective courses in disciplines such as Spanish and Photography may also be available. Tracks include: Evolution, Ecology, and Conservation, Marine Ecology, and People, Politics, and the Environment.
Founded in 1950, IES Abroad is a global, not-for-profit study abroad organization with 115+ academic programs in Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Latin America. To learn more about what we offer visit our website.
- Setting Description:
- Imagine stepping foot onto this mysterious dark land knowing it’s an estimated 3.5 million years old. Yes, million. This environmental haven awaits you 600 miles off the coast of Ecuador—complete with sea lions, iguanas, and tortoises galore waiting to welcome you.
- We offer more than $2.2 million in scholarships & financial aid. Contact IES Abroad or see our website for cost, scholarships, and financial aid.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- IES Abroad offers $5 million dollars in need- and merit-based scholarships and grants that can be used toward an IES Abroad study abroad program. Apply online using our universal Aid Application, and we’ll pair you with the scholarships and grants.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program