- Freiburg, Germany
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
- Ideal for students interested in rapidly improving their German language skills, the IES Abroad Freiburg Program offers you IES Abroad and university courses taught in German by distinguished local faculty. Wherever possible our courses take advantage of the city’s historical, artistic, and cultural sites, and several courses include hands-on, practical components. You can also enroll in courses at Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg or other local academic institutions where you will experience the German education system first-hand. Maybe you’ll even make some German friends while you’re at it.
We offer unique courses that explore German Language, History, Culture and other topics, through an in-depth and hands-on approach. Our world-class professors and course options at prestigious local universities enhance your academic experience and provide you with new perspectives each day in class. You enroll in 15 to 19 credit hours per semester. Academic programming is scheduled five days a week. All courses are taught in German.
Founded in 1950, IES Abroad is a global, not-for-profit study abroad organization with 115+ academic programs in Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Latin America. To learn more about what we offer visit our website.
- Setting Description:
- It is impossible not to fall in love with Freiburg. Maybe it’s the curving cobblestone streets, medieval architecture, and beautiful cathedral. Or maybe it’s the city’s progressive mindset—Freiburg shows a remarkable commitment to the environment and the development of sustainable technologies. Either way, we invite you to study abroad in Freiburg and discover all there is to love about this enchanting university town.
- We offer more than $2.2 million in scholarships & financial aid. Contact IES Abroad or see our website for cost, scholarships, and financial aid.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- IES Abroad offers over $4 million dollars in need- and merit-based scholarships and grants that can be used toward an IES Abroad study abroad program. Apply online using our universal Aid Application, and we’ll pair you with the scholarships and grants.
Based on 2 Reviews
- Sprechen Sie Deutsch?04/17/14
I learned so much about the culture I was in through the IES Language & Area program. Germans can be very outgoing when you let them open up to you. They are just as curious about us as we are of them from a societal standpoint and some amazing friendships
came out of that-- both from the program and just being a local. I also learned so much about ethnocentrism and how the American culture is the epitome of it. Because of that, re-adjusting to the American lifestyle can be a little nerve-racking, but don't be worried about it. Learn to accept the similarities and the differences and help others understand it to. For the program itself, I could say nothing but good things. The only challenged I faced was in my studies trying to find a balance between both styles of university. However, the work I did wasn't horrible and I still had plenty of free time to go on adventures and wander around. The advisers were fantastic and were always available for questions and concerns.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Getting out of your comfort zone03/27/14
I loved having the opportunity to live with local German students. They were interested in getting to know me and even threw a party for me when I left! I volunteered at a local hospital during my time in Freiburg and that improved my German drastically.
Everyone was very friendly and I had a wonderful time in Freiburg. I would have stayed for a whole year if I could have!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend