- Freiburg, Germany
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
- Taught in English, the IES Abroad European Union Program gives you the chance to study Politics, Economics, Business, and International Relations like you never have before. The program features an integrative seminar that incorporates approximately 21 days of field study to travel to numerous countries inside and outside of the EU. As you visit each new country, you develop your understanding of the European Union, its history, and its institutions.
We offer unparalleled courses that explore European Politics, Economics, Business, International Relations, and other topics through an in-depth and hands-on approach. Our world-class professors and field study opportunities enhance your academic experience and provide you with new perspectives each day in class. You take 16 credit hours per semester (five courses). You may earn up to 19 credits if you are placed in a post-program internship. All courses are taught in English, excluding German language courses and IR/PO355. Academic programming is scheduled five days a week.
Founded in 1950, IES Abroad is a global, not-for-profit study abroad organization with 115+ academic programs in Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Latin America. To learn more about what we offer visit our website.
- Setting Description:
- It is impossible not to fall in love with Freiburg. Maybe it’s the curving cobblestone streets, medieval architecture, and beautiful cathedral. Or maybe it’s the city’s progressive mindset—Freiburg shows a remarkable commitment to the environment and the development of sustainable technologies. Either way, we invite you to study abroad in Freiburg and discover all there is to love about this enchanting university town.
- We offer more than $2.2 million in scholarships & financial aid. Contact IES Abroad or see our website for cost, scholarships, and financial aid.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- IES Abroad offers over $4 million dollars in need- and merit-based scholarships and grants that can be used toward an IES Abroad study abroad program. Apply online using our universal Aid Application, and we’ll pair you with the scholarships and grants.
Based on 3 Reviews
- Adventure is always out there- you just have to look for it07/08/16
When I started my study abroad search, I was seeking a program that combined my interests in social sciences, history, and politics in a practical, hands-on approach. IES Abroad's European Union program seemed like the perfect opportunity, with over 3
weeks of travel and meetings throughout the semester with policy makers, journalists, and lawyers all over EU-member states. My German was also improved, as the center's location in the heart of the Black Forest (in Freiburg) meant that I would get first hand experience for practicing language skills. For roughly 4 months, I was immersed in the local, national, and international political culture of Europe, with visits to Brussels, Prague, and Barcelona, to name a few spots. I also got the chance to visit popular spots in my own time, like the Sound of Music's Salzburg and a weekend trip to London. Adventure was not far, however, and cities like Heidelberg and Colmar (in France) were just a short trainride or bus away. Alongside my 80 classmates, I got the chance of a lifetime to explore, dream, and discover (to quote Mark Twain) Europe, and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect program for an adventurous historian with ambitions to work in policy making and law. I can't wait to get back to Freiburg, and I know it will always have a special place in my heart. Photo: Half the group visiting the European Court of Justice in Luxembourgread moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Choose the IES EU!04/19/14
The IES Abroad European Union program provided everything and then some for an amazing study abroad experience! Right from the beginning they were organized and truly expressed how excited they were that I choose the EU program. Every step of the pre-departure
process was laid out beautifully and my program advisor in Chicago was extremely helpful at answering any and all questions I had leading up to my departure for Germany. The staff in my home town were kind, smart, thoughtful, and highly professional. They knew what crazy emotions were running through us during our time abroad and were there for us every step of the way during our adventure. The EU program takes the students on three academic trips to various cities and countries in Europe, which were all truthfully unforgettable experiences. The trips were planned to a T by the staff but still provided free time at the end of the day in order for the students to explore what each city had to offer. I heard from numerous friends that were also studying abroad with difference programs how lucky I was that my program planned such trips because theirs did not! Freiburg, Germany, was the perfect city to live and study in in order to gain the experience I was looking for while abroad. Not too big, not too small, this German college town offered the perfect blend of what a typical German town is like and one that is comfortable for an international student like myself to live in. The friendships with my fellow students in the program and those that I made with the local Germans will be ones that I will never be able to forget. So many wonderful new, exciting adventures I had while in Germany will forever be memories I carry with my entire life. I could not say more great things about the IES EU Program and I hope that students of all majors apply for this program because the experiences offered from this program are one of a kind!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Best Place on Earth03/25/14
The IES European Union program was so incredible because all of the trips were built in! We spent time in the classroom learning about European economic and political systems. Then we actually got to travel all over the continent seeing those systems
in action through conferences, speeches, tours, and sightseeing trips. The teachers were all extremely helpful, kind, and informed. Freiburg is the best place on earth. It is perfect size town filled with fun things to do for college-age students. There are fun bars, affordable restaurants, tons of outdoor activities, and lots of friendly locals. I could not have picked a better city or program!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend