- Dublin, Ireland
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
- The Gaiety School of Acting–The National Theatre School of Ireland specializes in conservatory acting. This program appeals primarily to those students who are ready for the challenge of adapting to an entirely new academic culture that requires significant independent work.
The Gaiety School of Acting–The National Theater School of Ireland (GSA-NTSI) is Dublin’s premier acting school. The policy of GSA-NTSI is to train you for the theater, film, and television industries by providing you with conservatory-like professional training taught by local acting instructors. At the beginning of the term, you enroll in a three-week intensive IES Abroad theater course (TH352 Soundings from the Fringes) that combines performance workshops with the critical study of plays. This course, which takes place before GSA-NTSI courses begin, integrates your classroom work with Dublin’s annual Fringe Festival in September. After the festival, you fully enroll in a set of courses at GSA-NTSI. The academic experience at the GSA-NTSI is unique because you follow a set curriculum, which all first-year students at the school complete.
Founded in 1950, IES Abroad is a global, not-for-profit study abroad organization with 115+ academic programs in Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Latin America. To learn more about what we offer visit our website.
- Setting Description:
- Your journey begins in the cultural center (and the heart) of Ireland: Dublin. Just think, you’ll be studying in the City of Literature that’s home to such literary greats as George Bernard Shaw, Oscar Wilde, William Butler Yeats, and Samuel Beckett! Stroll around Dublin to see how the historic architecture blends with modern design. Enjoy the energetic music scene and lively theatre. And when you need to get away, you’ll discover outdoor adventures just a short train or bus ride away.
- We offer more than $2.2 million in scholarships & financial aid. Contact IES Abroad or see our website for cost, scholarships, and financial aid.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- IES Abroad offers $5 million dollars in need- and merit-based scholarships and grants that can be used toward an IES Abroad study abroad program. Apply online using our universal Aid Application, and we’ll pair you with the scholarships and grants.
Based on 1 Reviews
- An intensely fun summer acting in Dublin02/16/14
Studying at The Gaiety School of Acting was great. Even though I had previously taken theatre courses and had acted on stage, I learned a lot about how line delivery and the craft of acting in general are different in Ireland versus the United States.
I felt like the instructors took the course very seriously and us seriously as students dedicated to acting, and I would recommend the Dublin Summer: Intensive Acting program to anyone. It might be a short course (compared to a whole semester or year), but the amount of content the summer course contains is worth the limited stretch of time. I loved where our apartment was located in terms of its location to The Gaiety School of Acting, and the Dublin city centre in general. IES assigned us to our apartments, and I liked that different students' apartments were located in various different places throughout the city so that we were forced to get to know the city better when navigating our way to friends' houses. Also, because the Dublin city centre is not very large, everything seemed to be at the most only a 25-30 minute walk from our apartment (our school included). I rarely used any sort of transportation other than my feet, and I felt that the walkability of the city allowed me to get to know it better than if I were in need of a bus every day. And, the fact that we did have to walk about 25 minutes to and from class every day exposed us to more of the city than if we were only a couple minutes away from it.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend