- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
Amsterdam, a city long associated with notions of tolerance and openness, is the perfect backdrop against which to study Art History, Literature, and Sociology through the lens of Gender Studies. We invite you to explore Amsterdam's history and present, and to consider how these notions are—or are not—changing. Amsterdam is your classroom, with field study visits to world-class museums and noteable Amsterdam sites playing a major role in each course. This program also includes a field study trip to Berlin, to further investigate your topics of study.
We offer unique courses that explore the themes of gender and sexuality through an in-depth and interdisciplinary approach. Our world-class professors enhance your academic experience and provide you with new perspectives each day in class. Enroll in two 3-credit courses in a variety of disciplines, all taught under the shared theme of Gender Studies.
Founded in 1950, IES Abroad is a global, not-for-profit study abroad organization with 115+ academic programs in Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Latin America. To learn more about what we offer visit our website.
- Setting Description:
- Known for its liberal views and open-minded attitude, the residents of Amsterdam welcome you to this cozy city. You’ll adore the lovely canals and old European charm that make up the enchanting city of Amsterdam. Because the city planning hasn’t changed much since the 19th century, you’ll appreciate the architecture and historic homes that color the city. And you can’t leave without seeing the windmills!
- We offer more than $2.2 million in scholarships & financial aid. Contact IES Abroad or see our website for cost, scholarships, and financial aid.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- IES Abroad offers $5 million dollars in need- and merit-based scholarships and grants that can be used toward an IES Abroad study abroad program. Apply online using our universal Aid Application, and we’ll pair you with the scholarships and grants.
Based on 1 Reviews
- New Friends, New Experiences, New Perspectives09/24/19
I didn’t want to be that person who said study abroad changed my life, but now I realize they are right — my experience abroad was life changing. This summer (2019) I had the incredible opportunity to travel abroad with IES to Amsterdam. Making
it to Europe has always been a dream of mine, and when I saw the immerse and customizable curriculum that IES has to offer, including a course on Intersexuality and its history in Dutch medicine as well as a gendered approach looking at 17th century art history, I knew this program was right for me. Since pre-departure, the IES Staff made the process incredibly easy — consistent emails and working alongside the study abroad office kept me ahead of schedule and prepared for in advance of boarding my flight. This communication remained if not flourished as the program began and I was starting my summer in a new country. The summer went by quick (sad), but by the end I can say that I left with a completely new cultural perspective, an expansive amount of knowledge, a ton of new experiences (and photos!), and of course 20 new friends. I thank the IES Abroad Faculty for the incredible experiences I got to live out this summer, and hope that the many prospective students of the program have an amazing time in the upcoming semesters!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend