6-week academic program in Mexico City+Chiapas (May-July 2017), offered by one of Mexico’s top universities. Social challenges and how to approach them. Spanish intensive course.
- Mexico City, Mexico
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Summer, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
The 6-week course "Social Realities in Mexico" is an academic program meant to sharpen the students' awareness of the main development concerns and social challenges in Latin America. At the same time, the participants acquire specific knowledge, tools and methodology to contribute to the solution of those problems.
In addition to the academic input, the program aims to change the students’ world view through a first-hand experience that will have a long-lasting impact upon their return home.
The key success factors of the program are an appealing balance of academic and social activities, full immersion into the Mexican culture and society, and first-hand contact with experts and NGOs. All program components count with the quality standards of Iberoamericana University, one of Latin America’s highest ranked universities.
The mainstays of the program are:
1) Spanish language course
2) Thematic lectures, taught in English
3) Social service workshop, taught in English
4) Weekly thematic field trips
5) Cultural and touristic excursions
6) One-week study tour to southern Mexico
- Setting Description:
- Mexico City, the oldest metropolis on the American continent, is situated in the central region of Mexico at about 2,240 meters (7,392 feet) above sea level, flanked by two volcanoes. Previously known as the “City of Palaces”, the former capital of the Aztec empire today is a vibrant global city with international flair, where new and old traditions coexist. Mexico City is one of the largest urban agglomerations in the world. As a melting pot of different cultures, and being a site of extreme contrasts between high tech and poverty, development and recess, the city provides a perfect setting for this kind of study programs. The program will conclude with a one-week study tour to one of the most beautiful and interesting states in southern Mexico: Chiapas. On this fascinating trip, the group will visit some of Mexico’s most important cultural and natural highlights, get in contact with the local indigenous population, and visit local organizations and NGOs.
- 2850 USD. The program fee includes: - Tuition and program fees - Domestic air fares (Mexico City to Chiapas and back) - Housing (homestay with a Mexican family), 40 nights - Laundry once a week - Hotel costs during the Chiapas study tour, 5 nights - Transport to and from airport - Breakfasts - Dinners (weeks 1 - 5) - Free access to campus facilities (gymnasium, infirmary, labs, etc.) - Local group transportation - Entrance fees&guides - Printout material - Cultural/social activities and weekend trip
Additional Program Information
- General requirements for participation: - Legal age at the moment the application is submitted. - Formally enrolled at an accredited university, with good academic standing. - Having completed 1 full year or more of university studies at the beginning of the program. - Fluent English language skills. Spanish language skills will be helpful, though are not a requirement for participation
- Scholarships Description:
- A 10% discount is granted for students from IBERO's partner universities. If three or more students from the same home university participate in the program (partner university or not), an additional 10% discount applies.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program