Thailand's Chiang Mai Province is the ideal destination to volunteer with elephants relieved from working in the tourist industry. Join us as we assist with the elephants' rehabilitation and help mahouts (traditional elephant keepers) establi
- Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Animals, Environment
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months
- Program Description:
The mountain forests of Northern Thailand are home to some of the most intelligent animals on earth: elephants. As a volunteer you get to work with elephants relieved from working in tourist camps. The area is famous for its traditional elephant keeping communities and these gentle giants now live improved lives in the lush mountains of the Chiang Mai province. You will get to learn about elephant behavior, history, biology, training and social interactions. You will also contribute directly to the elephants’ lives by providing working alternatives for the traditional elephant keepers of the local Karen community, called mahouts. Join the program and get a first-hand experience into the improved welfare our volunteers are involved in bringing to these incredibly intelligent animals. Volunteering with GVI not only allows you to participate and make a meaningful impact while assisting disadvantaged communities or endangered ecosystems, but it also offers fantastic opportunities to travel and explore the local area.
- Setting Description:
- Located in the mountainous parts of northern Thailand, Chiang Mai is surrounded by breathtaking mountainous scenery. Participants are lucky enough to live and work in this peaceful atmosphere. Project work itself takes place in Mae Chaem District, a 5-hour journey into the mountains, where the famous Karen elephant-keeping communities reside. These communities have had a unique and sacred relationship with the elephants for the past hundreds of years.
- 1840 - 5590 USD.
Additional Program Information
- There are no pre-requisits for this project, however a background and passion for conservation and environmental awareness is beneficial. Students must also speak English and be physically and mentally fit to live in this remote location.
- Scholarships Description:
- Only National Scholarship Programs. Scholarships offered to the native people of the country where the program takes place.