Special research permits are required to conduct academic research in Honduras. This process can take up to 6 months. Make sure to leave plenty of time before your intended participation date to get all the requirements in order. You will also be asked
- Tegucigalpa, Honduras
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Year Round
- Work Types:
- Animal Sciences, Sciences & Environment
- Program Description:
- Located in the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean lies the island of Utila, the third largest of Honduras Bay Islands. Forming part of the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System, the second-largest in the world, the island is growing as a diving and tourist destination. This projected growth highlights the need to protect the island's delicate ecosystem.
You will conduct environmental research with a Honduran NGO based the island, working alongside its resident scientists. The organisation's principal aim is to protect aim is to protect the country's endangered fauna and flora through conservation initiatives.
Our strategies are to:
* provide a dynamic environmental education program
* develop sustainability based on scientific assessment
* impulse community engagement and participation
* create and strengthened the links between organisations working for the same aim.
The principal project is running a reptile research and breeding station in order to protect endemic endangered species. Other projects involve biodiversity studies (insect diversity of the island) and population studies, as well as educating schoolchildren and the local community on environmental issues. The centre runs a visitor centre with information on the unique animal and plants seen on Utila, and organises various activities throughout the year including social workshops, cultural and environmental celebrations.
Special research permits are required to conduct academic research in Honduras. This process can take up to 6 months. Make sure to leave plenty of time before your intended participation date to get all the requirements in order. You will also be asked to make a presentation of your research to the other staff at the NGO at the end of your trip, so as to diffuse any findings you have made and allow others to learn and build upon your work. You will also be asked to leave a report of your findings to the NGO and submit any published articles to the project HQ library. * Min age 18 * Minimum 1 month commitment - 25+ hours a week * Enthusiasm and interest to work in conservation / strong research skills * Intermediate Spanish (Lessons available) * Full travel & medical insurance * Necessary vaccinations * Necessary flights & visas
There are many areas of interest for you to focus your research. There are many different aspects you can choose from, biological, diversity and ecological studies; which will depend upon your interests and qualifications. Research on Utila has traditionally focused on the sea, leaving terrestrial research largely ignored. Possible research questions can include; * Carrying capacity of the island * Individual research on specific species such as reptiles, mammals, insects indigenous to the area. * Insect diversity study * Swamper (indigenous Reptile) wild population studies * Genetic studies of the efficiency of our conservation project * Medicinal plant categorisation and research * Bird identification studies * Evaluation of risk studies * Research into the sociological aspect of the organisation, i.e. how we can best educate the people of Utila. Those with specific interests and research questions are welcome to discuss them with the organisation.
- Fee: €220 Euros Project Fee per month + £249 GBP Placement Fee What's Included: Project Fee includes all accommodation, 24 hour support, project activities and research support We charge a flat, one-off placement fee of £249 GBP per person per project. This covers our costs for promoting the project and providing our services. We offer full pre-departure support (for all necessary flights, visas and vaccinations) and ongoing assistance throughout your placement. What's not included: F
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program