- Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
This 3-week field course provides you an opportunity to explore Ho Chi Minh City’s highly innovative social innovation landscape, and to address social innovation topics in partnership with local entrepreneurs and civil society leaders.
GEI’s Social Innovation Labs in countries such as Rwanda, Kenya, South Africa and Vietnam aspire to drive collective social impact in the host countries by researching, designing and implementing out-of-the-box solutions with and for local communities. Student teams first develop key skills through classroom learning, workshops, field visits and general cultural immersion. You then spend two weeks working in interdisciplinary service-learning teams to address a specific social innovation topic in partnership with local entrepreneurs and civil society leaders. These topics derive from our ongoing Social Innovation Lab and Social Enterprise Incubator projects.
Dates: July 7-27, 2019 | July 28-August 17, 2019
- Learn to use basic design thinking tools to solve social problems with a “designerly” mindset
- Engage with Vietnamese entrepreneurs or civil society leaders to develop social innovation solutions.
- Work in a small multicultural team and gain invaluable intercultural competence relevant to your field of study.
- Explore the progress and challenges towards development of one of Asia’s leading success stories – Vietnam.
- Broaden your personal and professional network, and build lasting international friendships.
- Setting Description:
- The course gateway is downtown Saigon, the bustling city center of Ho Chi Minh City’s District 1. The area is known for its maze of little restaurants, cafés and shops. It is also home to a variety of local guesthouses that are ideal for student accommodation. When placed in Ho Chi Minh City, students will be within easy walking distance of many main attractions such as Ben Thanh Market, the Reunification Palace, Notre Dame Cathedral and the War Museum. The guesthouses feature 24-hour reception and security, free Wi-Fi and a daily breakfast. Rooms are typically equipped with individual air-conditioning, a fridge, TV, phone, small safety deposit box and en-suite bathroom with shower. Laundry and dry-cleaning services are available for a small fee. In some cases, projects are located in other parts of Vietnam, particularly in Central Vietnam, including Quang Tri Province, north of Hue. Weekend excursions are arranged to visit attractive historical and cultural sites.
- 2,290 USD. Tuition: US $400, Educational costs: US $790, Housing & meals: US $1,040, Health insurance: US $60
Additional Program Information
- There are no academic prerequisites. To be eligible to apply for this course, students can be enrolled in any major and minor, including, among others, business, engineering, social sciences, development studies, or any related area. Service-learning tasks will be tailored to the backgrounds and skills of the students. Enrollment is generally reserved for sophomores, juniors and seniors, or by consent of the instructor. Graduate students and professionals are welcome to apply for participation without credits.