- Kigali, Rwanda
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
This 3-week field course in Rwanda is designed to highlight the crucial role of leadership development in the pursuit of social justice and sustainable development. You will be introduced to the social change model of leadership development and explore key concepts of community leadership. You will learn how to better understand yourself as well as others in order to achieve personal empowerment, and you will work with groups of disadvantaged local women and girls in order to develop leadership qualities.
The first week focuses on skills development through classroom learning, workshops, field visits and general cultural immersion. Among others, you will receive leadership training by field experts and volunteer as guest trainers for groups of school girls. The second and third weeks then consist of the practical application and multiplication of your new skills through service-learning activities with the Nyamirambo Women’s Center.
Dates: July 21-August 10, 2019
- Participate in leadership training workshops by local field experts.
- Volunteer to teach leadership skills to Rwandan school girls.
- Engage in project-based service-learning work at the Nyamirambo Women’s Center.
- Interview Rwandan women and girls and create stories relating to a pre-determined theme in order to complete your coursework.
- Explore the ‘Land of a Thousand Hills’ through unique excursions and a safari.
- Setting Description:
- The course gateway is Kigali, Rwanda’s political, economic and cultural center, and one of the cleanest, greenest and safest capital cities in Africa. The majority of course activities take place in the colorful Nyamirambo neighborhood. Students are typically hosted at a local guesthouse. Excursions are arranged to visit attractive historical and cultural sites as well as Akagera National Park for an African safari experience.
- 2,690 USD. Tuition: US $400 - Educational costs: US $1,450 - Housing & meals: US $780 (sharing room basis) - Health insurance: US $60
Additional Program Information
- There are no academic prerequisites. To be eligible to apply for this course, students can be enrolled in any major and minor, including, among others, business, engineering, social sciences, development studies, health sciences, nursing, public health, or any related area. Service-learning tasks will be tailored to the backgrounds and skills of the students. Enrollment is generally reserved for sophomores, juniors and seniors, or by consent of the instructor. Graduate students and professionals are welcome to apply for participation without credits.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program