- Victorica, Argentina
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Internationally recognized as a premiere institution of higher learning and research, Universidad de San Andrés (UDESA) is one of the top universities in Argentina and throughout Latin America. While at San Andrés, students will participate in the Program in Latin American Studies which is set on a picturesque and secure campus just 45 minutes from downtown Buenos Aires (San Andrés also has a downtown branch facility where Intensive Spanish Program classes are held). Buenos Aires is one of the most cosmopolitan capitals in South America. The widely diverse population creates a dynamic mixture of Latin American and European culture, which is reflected in the city’s eclectic architecture, distinct cuisine, and rich cultural life. Buenos Aires is home to an incomparable array of theatres, bookstores, cafés, museums and milongas (tango salons), and it has a vibrant and exciting nightlife.
Universidad de San Andrés is a Direct Enrollment Program. Students are enrolled as regular students at the partner university and pay a Program Fee to Mason that includes tuition.
- Students must have completed either at least 45 credits at the time of departure with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Students should not study abroad the last semester of senior year if they plan to graduate on time.
- Recent transfer students cannot study abroad their first semester at Mason.
- Minimum of four semesters of college level Spanish or the equivalent.
Program in Latin American Studies
Designed for students who are interested in learning first-hand about Latin America, the Program in Latin American Studies offers the possibility of choosing among a wide range of courses in different disciplines with a significant Latin American Studies content. In these classes, students explore various facets of Latin America’s culture, politics, and society.
The program allows you to enroll directly in classes at the Universidad de San Andrés together with local students. Most of the courses are taught in Spanish by full-time faculty. Each semester, there are a very limited number of courses taught in English.
According to your interests, you can choose to focus on four different tracks:
- Latin American Literature, Arts and Culture
- Latin American Society and Politics
- Latin American Economics and Business
- Service Learning in Latin America
In addition, the program offers Spanish Language and Culture classes at different levels that are designed specifically for international students.
Students generally take four courses a semester:
- Two courses within the student’s academic track.
- An elective in any academic discipline area.
- A Spanish language course (Intermediate or Advanced) which provides students the tools to quickly hone their language skills and get to know Argentinean culture. Students who pass out of the Intermediate or Advanced course may also take a course on academic writing skills designed for Spanish native speakers.
Choosing Courses Abroad
This program does not have pre-approved classes. It is your responsibility to select courses and get them approved for transfer credit. To facilitate this process, you will complete the Petition for Transfer of Credit (PTC) Form. You will have access to the PTC form when you open an application.
You are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to look at this institution’s courses ahead of time to see how they will match up to your Mason degree requirements. Talk to your academic advisor about what courses you will need to receive credit for during your time abroad to stay on-track for your degree. When looking at courses keep in mind that 1) you will have to be enrolled full-time while abroad, and 2) similarly to Mason, course schedules can change. We recommend having twice as many courses approved as necessary.
- Departments and Courses
- 14200 USD. Program Cost: $14,200 Included: Tuition and registration fees (Mason and San Andrés) Placement exam and breakfast on first day Housing (homestay, apartment, or residence hall) Pre-Departure Orientation International Emergency Insurance Not Included: Round-trip airfare Personal spending
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Full and partial tuition scholarships are awarded by UDESA based on merit and need through the scholarship program “SABE: San Andrés Building Excellence”. Students should submit the SABE application with the program application. The application for this s
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program