- Fribourg, Switzerland
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
International Security Studies provides students with an introduction to international security affairs from a global perspective. The course examines the achievements and failures of some of the world's most important economic, political, humanitarian and security organizations from an interdisciplinary perspective. The courses offer students an intellectually stimulating, innovative and diverse program of study in a safe environment, with maximum exposure to the cultural and political life of contemporary Switzerland, Europe and the world of international diplomacy. The structure of the program revolves around regular coursework and relevant study visits. The interdisciplinary course is organized into modules in various areas of study including economics, political science, international relations and international law. Class meetings are held three to four days a week, with one or two days reserved for on-site visits allowing students to see the day-to-day operations and meet with senior representatives of major international organizations, such as the United Nations, Conference on Disarmament Affairs, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, the International Committee of the Red Cross (all based in Geneva), as well as the European Court of Human Rights in nearby Strasbourg, France, NATO in Belgium, and the International Criminal Course at the Hague among others.
Students will enroll in six credits: a common core and an elective.
The core class is GOVT 398 - International Security in Global Perspective. Students will also choose from one of four elective courses:
- Global Affairs (GLOA) 480 – Global Affairs Study Abroad
- Conflict Analysis and Resolution (CONF) 385 – International Field Experience
- History (HIST) 387 – Topics in Global History (satisfies Mason core requirement in global understanding)
- Criminology (CRIM) 405 – Law and Justice around the World
- Program Fee (Summer 2016): $5700 Included: Tuition (6 credits) Accommodations Most in-country transportation Partial meal plan (20 meals) Lectures Pre-Departure Orientation International Travel Insurance Not Included: Round-trip airfare Other transportation Other meals Personal spending Optional excursions and performances