- Havana, Cuba
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Winter Semester
- Program Description:
This course provides students with both a background to Cuba’s economic situation (from the 1959 Cuban Revolution to the present) as well as an on-the-ground look at the country’s emerging economic transition in the context of globalization. We will pay special attention to economic reform in Cuba surrounding the economic crisis of the 1990s using texts, tools, and methodologies from across the social sciences. The goal of the course is to equip participants with a well-rounded set of analytical tools that help them assess both Cuba’s economic situation in the 21st century as well as the scope and effectiveness of recent economic reforms the country has undertaken. This course offers students an intellectually stimulating, innovative, and diverse program of study in a safe environment, with maximum exposure to the economic, cultural, and political life of contemporary Cuba. The structure of this program revolves around guest lectures at Cuba’s premier academic institutions, class meetings, and relevant site visits.
- Global Affairs (GLOA) 480: Study Abroad
- Economics (ECON) 492: Study Abroad
- Government (GOVT) 398: Study Abroad
- Global Affairs (GLOA) 710: Seminar Abroad (only available for George Mason University students currently enrolled in the Masters in Global Affairs program)
- Conflict Analysis (CONF) 695: Selected Topics
This program is open to all undergraduate and graduate students including students who do not attend George Mason University.
Double or triple occupancy in hotels/group housing.
- Program Cost (Winter 2017): $4880 Included: Round trip airfare from DC-Havana Tuition (3 credits) Accommodation in Havana In-country transportation for program activities Most meals (breakfast and dinner daily and additional meals as outlined below) Local, English-speaking guide Pre-Departure Orientation International Emergency Insurance Not Included: Other transportation Some meals Personal spending
Additional Program Information
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program