- Jackson Heights, United States
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Academic Year
- Program Description:
Garden School was founded in 1923 as a high-quality, independent school in Queens. Faculty and administration combine the wisdom of tradition with the science of up-to-date pedagogical research to offer every student the finest education that maximizes academic and personal potential, in a partnership atmosphere where individual, family and community goals are respected and nurtured.
At the center of Garden School is the curriculum. Yet the context in which that curriculum unfolds distinguishes us from other schools
- the context of small classes in a small school;
- of freedom from bureaucracy;
- of carefully focused college counseling;
- of a professional and caring relationship among teachers, students, parents, and administrators;
- of a passionate dedication to education rather than to the politics of education;
- of a firm commitment to understand, interpret, and present each student as an individual;
- of recognizing when growth is part of a child’s intellectual development;
- of building a curriculum based on the highest university standards;
- of knowing when to encourage and support risk-taking in students.
Garden School’s low tuition, compared with that for other independent schools in the metropolitan New York area, makes it a realistic option to a broad spectrum of families. Our student body, reflecting the ever-changing population of Queens, enhances the learning process through an inherent and ongoing cultural exchange.
Located in Jackson Heights, Queens, one of the most diverse areas of New York City, Garden School offers private bus transportation, is easily accessible and admits students from all boroughs and Long Island.
The Garden School English Language Academy Program (ELA) was created 25 years ago to provide international students from around the world the opportunity to study in the U.S. and learn English with a full-year language immersion program at a fully-accredited American college preparatory school. We are able to issue F1 student visas and welcome a select number of international students (8-15) each year.
Our ELA Program is unique because only a small number of students between 7th and 10th grades are enrolled each year. English and math abilities are evaluated and a schedule of classes is designed to meet each student’s needs. Additional ELA characteristics include cooperative activities with other grades, teachers, and students, curriculum-based field trips in New York City and beyond, and service learning (community volunteering).
Our ELA graduates have college acceptances from the University of Pennsylvania, City University of New York, and New York University, to name a few.
- Setting Description:
- Garden School is located on a fully-enclosed, safe and secure campus on a tree-lined street in our neighborhood of Jackson Heights, in the northwestern portion of the New York City borough of Queens. Jackson Heights has one of the most diverse populations in the world with over 167 languages spoken and is accessible to all parts of New York City and beyond through public transportation.
- $21 - $30,000 USD. All instruction and materials. Nominal additional program enrichment expenses (field trips, etc.). Transportation ($3-4K) and meals ($900) available at extra cost.
Additional Program Information
- Completed application and $50 fee. Copy of passport and transcripts for past two years.
- Scholarships Description:
- Merit Scholarships are granted each year based on the results of the Merit Scholarship Exam, administered each December to interested students in grades 5-9.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program