- Berlin, Germany
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Summer, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
FUBiS is an intensive, academic program through which students can earn credits that may be counted towards their degrees at their home institutions. FUBiS sessions run for 3 to 6 weeks and take place both in summer and winter - on site as well as online for the first time in summer 2020.
FUBiS Online Program 2020:
- Digital Lecture Series every Wednesday between June 3 and August 12
- ECTS Online Courses between July 20 and August 14
Updates on all FUBiS terms in 2021 will follow here and on the FUBiS website in fall 2020.
FUBiS has successfully completed the Quality Improvement Program (QUIP) of the Forum on Education Abroad. By going through this process FUBiS has demonstrated that it is in conformity with the Forum’s Standards of Good Practice, maintains a commitment and dedication both to offering high quality programs in education abroad at a level of excellence acceptable to the larger academic community, and to continuous assessment and improvement.
The overall FUBiS program offers students many choices depending on the term:
- Participation in either one semi-intensive German class or in one subject class.
- Intensive German language classes. These classes meet every weekday and allow students to focus on and thus considerably improve their German skills.
- Combination of language and subject classes (Term II/III). This allows students to improve their language skills as well as further their knowledge of a subject matter.
- Combination of two subject classes (Term II/III) which may count toward a major or minor at the home institution.
- Online subject and German classes, some of which are combinable.
- Free digital lectures for the first time in summer 2020.
Digital Lecture Series Schedule:
- June 3 - Twentieth Century Berlin: People, Places, Words: "Weimar Berlin and the 'Golden Twenties'"
June 10 - Berlin and the Digital Music Era: "More Than 'Four to the Floor': Sequencers in Contemporary Electronic Music"
June 17 - German Language and Culture: „Kulturreise nach Berlin“ LIVE at 5 PM CEST
June 24 - History of European Art: Local Traditions and Transnational Networks: "Topic: Dynamics of travels of artists and works of art in Europe"
July 1 - German Language and Culture: „Vernetzte Kunst - Berliner Künstler gestern und heute“ LIVE at 9 AM CEST
July 8 - The European Union in the 21st Century: Internal and External Challenges: "The EU - Internal and External Challenges before and after Corona"
July 15 - Global Challenges - Sustainable Futures: "Climate Protection in the Post-Covid 19 World: The Impact of the Butterfly Effect"
July 22 - German Language and Culture : „Erderwärmung und die Folgen - Finde die richtigen Worte in der Klimadebatte“ LIVE at 5 PM CEST
July 29 - Seduction and Terror: Hitler‘s Germany: "National Socialist Rule and the German People: Seduction and Approval"
August 5 - German Language and Culture: „Lingua tertii imperii: Die Sprache der Verführung“ LIVE at 9 AM CEST
August 12 - International Finance: "The European Monetary Union and the Euro"
All lectures are uploaded to the FUBiS website as well as the FUBiS YouTube channel.
ECTS Online Courses (July 20 - August 14)
- Twentieth Century Berlin: People, Places, Words (Mon & Thu)
- Seduction and Terror: Hitler's Germany (Mon & Thu)
- German Philosophy: From Kant to Habermas (Tue & Fri)
- German Language and Culture - Deutsche Sprache und Kultur A2 (Mon Wed, Tue)
- German Language and Culture - Deutsche Sprache und Kultur B1 (Mon, Wed, Tue)
Each course is worth 4 ECTS credits. The course "German Philosophy: From Kant to Habermas" is combinable with one of the other courses allowing participants to earn 8 ECTS credits.
For details on the schedule, registration and more, please visit the FUBiS website.
- Setting Description:
- FUBiS is located in the southwest of Berlin in the green and quiet district of Lankwitz.
- 800 - 1,600 EUR. This tuition fee applies to online courses in the FUBiS Online Program 2020 and includes, in addition to the class, the course-related field work and the course reading material (reader). A non-refundable program fee (90€) applies in addition to the tuition. The program fee includes an official FUBiS transcript, (digital) student ID, and virtual cultural offers.
Additional Program Information
- Students must be at least 18 years of age and should have completed at least one year of higher education (college or university) at the beginning of the FUBiS program. However, registrants to the FUBiS program do not have to be enrolled in any program at the point of their registration. FUBiS also accepts registrations by adult learners and professionals. Please note that credits can only be awarded if you are currently/ have been enrolled at a university.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program