The GHSC Internship program offers practical experiences and cultural immersion--enabling students to: • Gain real-world work experience—by supporting vital public health programs that fight TB, HIV/AIDS, childhood malnutrition, maternal-child health and
- Pretoria, South Africa; Polokwane, South Africa; Thohoyandou, South Africa
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Business, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
- The Global Health for Social Change (GHSC) Internship is a project of the Foundation for Professional Development. This unpaid field placement program is an opportunity to be embedded with a local or international public health NGO—while experiencing total cultural immersion living with a host family.
GHSC is for students from a wide range of backgrounds. While working towards the improvement of public health, interns support the overall efforts of the NGO—enabling a more comprehensive look at the role public health plays in effecting social change.
The GHSC Internship program offers practical experiences and cultural immersion--enabling students to: • Gain real-world work experience—by supporting vital public health programs that fight TB, HIV/AIDS, childhood malnutrition, maternal-child health and more • Expand cultural horizons—by living with a host family in the community they are serving • Make a difference in the lives of others—by working with local or international NGOs to strengthen public health systems
Some of What's Included? • Internship with a non-governmental organization (NGO) • Intensive coursework on the South African public health system and HIV/TB • Accommodation and main meals with a local family while in the field • In-country pre-departure orientation on internship placement, job expectations, and logistics • Guided tour of the Apartheid Museum with integrated discussion of politics and current health events • 24 hour emergency access to in-country FPD support staff
- Setting Description:
- Pretoria (now part of Tshwane District) is approximately 55 km north-northeast of Johannesburg. Sheltered by the Magaliesburg mountains at an elevation of 1,350 meters, the city has a moderately dry subtropical climate with long hot and rainy summers and short cool and dry winters. Vhembe District is about a 5-hour drive north of Pretoria in the Limpopo province. The capital Thohoyandou is a small, but bustling town located north of the Tropic of Capricorn. With a traditional way of life, friendly people and a tropical climate, Vhembe gives visitors a more authentic African experience.
- $6,800.00 per student -- Financial Aid Available We believe that all students, regardless of socio-economic background, should have the same educational opportunities. FPD is prepared to provide scholarships/ financial aid to students with proven need. To be considered for financial aid/ cost reduction, please submit your official Financial Aid Notice of Award from your university or college. While we may not be able to cover all of your financial need for our program, we will do our best to
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program