Interested in pursuing a career in animal care, research, or conservation? Placements are available with cheetahs, monkeys, ostriches, penguins, birds, reptiles, and horse farms. There are also placements available in zoos, game reserves, national parks (
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Animals, Environment, Health
- 1-2 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 1 year
- Program Description:
- Get ready to roll up your sleeves! Interns help with everything, from educating and hosting day visitors, assisting with feedings and vet care, to mucking stalls. Interns typically work 5-7 hours a day, Monday through Friday. These placements require a 2-month minimum time commitment and genuine interest in animal care. If you choose to work with larger animals be prepared to commute, as those reserves are outside the city. These positions are open to serious, upper-level students and recent graduates who have some relevant education and/or experience. We are very proud to offer internships and volunteer projects with some of the best companies and NGOs in the Cape. These positions are intended for mature and responsible participants who can keep to a schedule and commit themselves to the position. Further, our group housing is fairly independent: ELIers purchase their own groceries, commute to and from their work sites without supervision, and pay rent monthly. These internships require a minimum two month commitment.
Interested in pursuing a career in animal care, research, or conservation? Placements are available with cheetahs, monkeys, ostriches, penguins, birds, reptiles, and horse farms. There are also placements available in zoos, game reserves, national parks (around Cape Town), an aquarium and botanical gardens.
Cost in US$: Program Fee is USD695, rent ranges from USD350 a month. Please contact ELI ABROAD for details!
- Setting Description:
- Famous for its sparkling white sand beaches, diverse African wildlife, exciting outdoor sports and multicultural population, South Africa is a colorful country brimming with excitement and adventure. It is home to over 44.6 million people from at least 20 distinct ethnic groups, and the country has 11 official languages. ELI’s program is based in beautiful Cape Town, located on a small peninsula that juts from the southern tip of South Africa into the Atlantic Ocean. Influenced by the Dutch, British and Malay, Cape Town is home to well-preserved historical buildings, busy streets, world class shopping and restaurants. No visit to Cape Town is complete without a hike up Table Mountain, a drive down the winding coastline to some of the area’s famous wineries, a visit to Boulder's Beach to see the African Penguins, or a hike up to the lighthouse at Cape Point.
- Program Fees Include: * Airport Pickup * Orientation * Welcome Pack * Assistance with In-country Travel * 24/7 In-Country Support
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program