Statistically, 1 in 4 Peruvian mothers are under the age of 18. Many of these young mothers are the victims of sexual abuse and have been abandoned by their families. ELI works with an organization in Cusco devoted to providing shelter for young mothers w
- Cusco, Peru
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Arts, Education, Health, Social Services, Women's Rights
- 1-3 months
- Program Description:
- Volunteers with this organization will help in a variety of areas such as providing care to the smallest children while their mothers are in school, assisting the school aged children and their mothers with homework, helping with chores around the home, or leading other activities. This placement requires patience on the part of the volunteer as well as a high level of Spanish proficiency.
Statistically, 1 in 4 Peruvian mothers are under the age of 18. Many of these young mothers are the victims of sexual abuse and have been abandoned by their families. ELI works with an organization in Cusco devoted to providing shelter for young mothers while educating them and giving the mothers the life skills they need to provide the best care possible for their children. All the mothers complete their secondary education and receive vocational training as well as training on child health issues, the importance of hygiene and other child development topics.
Pre-departure Support: ELI's staff is very knowledgeable and happy to help volunteers and interns to prepare for their travels. Airport Pickup: Volunteers are met at the airport in Lima or Cusco and provided with transportation to their accommodations In-country Orientation: Each volunteer program starts with a one to two day orientation which covers important topics on the logistics of living and working in Peru, city tours, help with transportation, and optional Spanish classes In-country Staff Support: ELI's Peru coordinator has years of experience working with Peruvian NGOs. She is very resourceful and on call 24/7 in case of emergency. Accommodations: Participants stay either with a local host family or in a shared apartment depending on the project.
- Setting Description:
- Experience the incredible beauty and culture of Peru while working with local organizations and gaining a deep understanding of the people and culture. Volunteers and interns work in community run organizations, gaining firsthand knowledge of the complex development issues Peru is facing. Participants have plenty of time to explore the country during the weekends. Peru has almost endless possibilities for adventure. * The Andes are some of the most dramatic mountains in the world dotted with small towns, clear lakes, and home to a vibrant and a wide array of microclimates ranging from semi arid highlands to cool, moist cloud forests. * Peru is home to some of the most spectacular ruins in the world including awe-inspiring Machu Picchu and the mysterious Nazca lines. * The Amazonian region is one of the most biologically diverse regions on the planet. * Cosmopolitan Lima is home to some of the best seafood restaurants in the world and many fascinating neighborhoods to explore. * Wa
- Cost in US$ Starting at USD835 for two weeks Cost Includes Food Housing In-country orientation/Training In-country staff support Registration fees Written materials pre-departure
Based on 1 Reviews
- Study Abroad in Peru08/23/18I really enjoyed this experience. I’ve been more open to other lifestyles and ways of living and I loved helping people, especially the kids!Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend