There is no country more beloved by those who have visited. Warm and friendly people, a rich cultural heritage, and scenic beauty that defies the imagination. Nepal is the only Hindu Kingdom in the world, and one of the few places where Hindus and Buddhis
- Kathmandu, Nepal
- Program Type:
- Teach Abroad
- Degree Level:
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 1 year
- Teach Abroad:
- Placement Audience:
- 6-12 years old, 12-15 years old, 15-18 years old, Adults
- Program Description:
- Teachers and community members in Kathmandu have been working hard to ensure the success of their education system but they lack funds. Volunteers are an invaluable asset to these institutions, and they are needed at monasteries, boarding schools and government schools alike. Volunteers teach vocabulary, lead basic writing exercises, and coordinate activities and games. There are also opportunities to teach math, science, basic computer skills and social studies. ELI has partnered with a number of dynamic primary and secondary schools in the bustling Kathmandu Valley, a couple of monasteries and a nunnery in Kathmandu.
Participants arrive in Kathmandu on set dates, as group orientation will start the following morning.
2013: Sept 30, (no arrivals during Dashain), Oct 28, Nov 11, Nov 25
2014: Open arrivals through winter and early spring. Arrival dates start back up: May 19, May 26, June 2, June 16, June 30, July 14, July 28, August 11, August 25, September 8, September 22
Volunteers live together in the volunteer house, located on the edge of Thamel.
Experience in the classroom is helpful but not necessary. Volunteers must be 18 years of age, fluent in English, interested in Nepali culture, flexible and enthusiastic.
There is no country more beloved by those who have visited. Warm and friendly people, a rich cultural heritage, and scenic beauty that defies the imagination. Nepal is the only Hindu Kingdom in the world, and one of the few places where Hindus and Buddhists live together in harmony. This country has long been a popular destination for explorers and nature lovers. At any given moment Kathmandu is overflowing with visitors from all corners of the globe.
Cost Includes Registration fees Food Housing Language instruction In-country staff support Pre-departure orientation/Training In-country orientation/Training Written materials abroad Written materials pre-departure
- Setting Description:
- The hot terai of the north Indian plains gives way to the foothills, then rises dramatically skyward to the icy Himalayan peaks, topping off at Mt. Everest - the highest point on earth at 8850m. Visitors revel in some of the most incredible trekking in the world, white water rafting, visiting the many game parks and nature preserves. ELI works hard to ensure that volunteers also get a chance to explore this beautiful country!
- We are proud to keep our program fees low! Program fees start at USD 585 for 2 weeks! Contact ELI Abroad for more details.