ELI works hard to ensure that volunteers also get a chance to explore beautiful Nepal! Participants usually take weekend trips to float on the lake in Pokhara and ride the elephants in Chitwan. Visit our website to view a photo-journal from a past intern.
- Kathmandu, Nepal
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Economic Development, Health, Social Services, Women's Rights
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 1 year
- Program Description:
- This program focuses on children's and women's rights. Our partner organizations work tirelessly for the promotion of gender justice, non-discriminatory and rights-based behaviors and practices. Among the thousands of individuals who are trafficked across Nepal's borders every year, the majority is women and children. It is estimated that Nepali women aged 15-30 make up 2.8% of the women in Indian brothels, and the numbers are sharply rising. Participants in this program often assist with research and reports and assist with grassroots projects as needed. Participants can choose to work with an organization that specifically works with marginalized Nepali women and children or an organization that works with Tibetan refugees.
These placements are open to participants holding at least a BA in a relevant field or those with significant NGO experience who are motivated and do not require a lot of supervision. Especially needed are participants with legal, grant writing, or public health backgrounds. The minimum time commitment is two months.
Participants arrive in Kathmandu on these start dates, as group orientation will start the following morning:
2013: Sept 30, (no arrivals during Dashain), Oct 28, Nov 11, Nov 25
2014: Open arrivals through winter and early spring. Arrival dates start back up: May 19, May 26, June 2, June 16, June 30, July 14, July 28, August 11, August 25, September 8, September 22
ELI works hard to ensure that volunteers also get a chance to explore beautiful Nepal! Participants usually take weekend trips to float on the lake in Pokhara and ride the elephants in Chitwan. Visit our website to view a photo-journal from a past intern. All ELIers live together in our modern volunteer house in Kathmandu, so there are plenty of other participants to adventure with!
Program Fees Include * Airport pickup * Orientation * Day tour of local sights * Walking tour of your neighborhood * Placement coordination * Accommodations at the volunteer house (a nice shared accommodation with western amenities on the edge of Thamel, conveniently located near cafes and shops) * 2 meals a day * Free internet access at the volunteer house * 24 hour in-country support by our local office
- Setting Description:
- There is no country more beloved by those who have visited than Nepal. Its warm and friendly people, a rich cultural heritage, and scenic beauty defy the imagination. Nepal is one of the few places where Hindus and Buddhists live together in harmony. This country has long been a popular destination for explorers and nature lovers. At any given moment Kathmandu is overflowing with visitors from all corners of the globe. The hot terai of the north Indian plains gives way to the foothills, then rise dramatically skyward to the icy Himalayan peaks, topping off at Mt. Everest - the highest point on earth at 8850m. Visitors revel in experiencing some of the most incredible trekking in the world, white water rafting, visiting game parks and nature preserves, or simply spending the day leisurely floating on the peaceful waters of Phewa Tal in Pokhara. In spite of these natural blessings, Nepal is one of the poorest countries ELI works in. With a per capita income of approx $490 per year, mos
- This program has been discounted to attract well qualified participants! Please contact ELI Abroad for details.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program