This is a unique opportunity to improve your professional skills and help rural communities to develop a sustainable living. Participants on this programs will live immerse in one of the Mayan villages, and will share their work and time with the communi
- Merida, Mexico
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Economic Development, Education, Environment, Translation
- 1-3 months
- Program Description:
- Professionals and Interns can help to promote social, economic and environmental development of rural and indigenous communities in Yucatan. All projects focus on making good use of natural resources and strengthen the culture and social integrity of Mayan communities.
Some of the current projects are:
* Development of tourist services in rural communities.
* Sustainable practices for building infrastructure and tourism.
* Designing business plans for small businesses.
* Teaching languages in a Mayan community
* Construction of wood-saving stoves and dry toilets.
This is a unique opportunity to improve your professional skills and help rural communities to develop a sustainable living. Participants on this programs will live immerse in one of the Mayan villages, and will share their work and time with the community. Weekends are free to explore the wonders of the Yucatan Peninsula.
- Setting Description:
- The Yucatan Peninsula is a perfect example of the blend between the development of the nation and the depth of its cultural heritage. Also called the “The Gateway to the Mayan World”, the Yucatan has vast natural and cultural wealth. The capital of this region is the city of Merida, a large colonial city with a unique culture and warm weather throughout the year. Music and dance fill the streets at night. Theaters and art museums abound. Yucatecan culinary specialties will quickly win you over. Ancients pyramids in the region take you back to a past of greatness and you can feel the deep identity that makes Mexico a singular and magical place.
- Cost in US$ Starting at USD1,940 Program Fees Include * Transportation from the airport at Merida * Orientation * Placement * Accommodation with a host family * Breakfast and dinner daily * 24-hour in-country support
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program