Dublin, the capital of the Republic of Ireland, is a modern city, filled with cafes, markets, malls, reliable rapid transit, and of course pubs. The weather can make Dublin appear a bit gray, this premier city is anything but dismal! Dublin's bustling str
- Dublin, Ireland
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, MayMester Intersession, Rolling Starts, Spring Break, Spring Semester, Summer, Winter Semester, Year Round
- Work Types:
- Animal Sciences, Education, Sciences & Environment
- Program Description:
- Animal Shelter: Volunteers and undergraduate students are invited to work with an animal shelter located on the edge of Dublin. Established in 1840 to prevent cruelty to animals, it is now Ireland's largest animal welfare organization. The new state of the art shelter was opened in 2003, caring for a wide variety of animals including (but not limited to) dogs, cats, horses, donkeys, goats, cows, pigs, rabbits, ferrets, gerbils, budgies, snakes, terripins and many kinds of farmyard fowl. The rescue and rehoming center is also a rest stop for a number of injured and young wild animals awaiting release including swans, foxes, badgers, hedgehogs and small birds. The areas on public view include the stables, paddocks, razing pastures, dog kennels, cattery, small animal sections, pig play area, goat and fowl areas. Duties are assigned based solely on the needs of the organization, so participants do everything from feeding, adoption assistance, coordinating educational outreach projects to cleaning enclosures and veterinary assistance for those who are qualified.
Veterinary Internship Program: ELI is proud to announce new relationships with private veterinarians throughout Dublin. Participants in this program work under the direct supervision of trained professionals in their private offices, mainly with domesticated animals.
The animal shelter requires volunteers to be 18 years of age and have a demonstrated devotion to animal welfare. Since this large property is located on the edge of the city, participants in this placement are recommended to live with closer homestays. Minimum time commitment to this project is 4 weeks.
The veterinary internship is open to current veterinary students, vet tech students at least 21 years of age, and licensed veterinarians. These placements are competitive, so students will be asked to submit a copy of their transcripts for acceptance to the veterinary internship program. The minimum time requirement is 8 weeks, and space is limited.
Dublin, the capital of the Republic of Ireland, is a modern city, filled with cafes, markets, malls, reliable rapid transit, and of course pubs. The weather can make Dublin appear a bit gray, this premier city is anything but dismal! Dublin's bustling streets are filled with warm and personable people, and the city itself is home to a lively art and literary culture that can give NY City a run for its money. The city is vibrant, culturally rich and ethnically diverse with a youthful and optimistic outlook.
ELI's Program Includes: *Pre-Departure Materials *Airport Pickup *Orientation *Internship Placement *Homestay Option Provides 2 Meals a Day *Social Gatherings *Local Coordinator & 24/7 Emergency Assistance *US-Based Support
- Setting Description:
- Located just across the Irish Sea from Great Britain, Ireland is famous for its colorful culture, Gaelic roots, crumbling medieval castles, folklore, and lively pubs. Though slow to industrialize, Ireland experienced dramatic economic growth in the 1990's and is now home to countless international companies.The city provides an incredible backdrop for international internships. ELI’s internships provide an opportunity for students, new graduates, and career changers to gain important knowledge and skills in a career related field. Placements are structured on the intern’s objectives. Placements are available in a wide range of areas. If you do not see your field of study listed, please inquire! Opportunities are always changing.
- Cost varies depending on duration. Please contact ELI Abroad for details.