HIV is spreading quickly through the Indian population. The groups at risk include women, slum dwellers, sex workers and truck drivers. Participants will work with an organization devoted to prevention education and empowerment activities for people livin
- Chennai, India
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Year Round
- Work Types:
- Education, Medical, Psychology, Sciences & Environment, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
- All ELI Programs are set up on a completely individual basis according to the interests and skills of each participant and the current needs of the local organizations we work with.
Participants in India experience India's vibrant culture in one of the most exciting parts of the country. The rich cultural heritage of South India is evident in the colorful festivals, elaborate temples, and daily rituals.
ELI participants work with local organizations and have a rare opportunity to gain insight into the day to day workings of Indian NGOs.
The programs in India have completely flexible start dates most months of the year. During the summer months of May, June, and July orientation starts every other weekend. Participants should arrive in Chennai on the start date.
Summer arrival dates in Chennai:
May 14, 28
June 11, 25
July 9, 23
ELI volunteers are met at the airport and taken to a hotel for their first night in Chennai. Orientation starts the next morning. During the orientation we will help you set up a cell phone, exchange money, and take you sightseeing in Chennai before you settle into your program.
Participants in this program need to be patient and culturally sensitive. The only required language is English, but knowledge of Tamil is very helpful. Many of the organizations' clients may not be able to speak English.
HIV is spreading quickly through the Indian population. The groups at risk include women, slum dwellers, sex workers and truck drivers. Participants will work with an organization devoted to prevention education and empowerment activities for people living with HIV and AIDS. Participants in this program will assist with awareness campaigns, assist with documentation and evaluation of the campaigns, meet with support groups for people living with HIV and gain an understanding of the huge impact HIV is making in India.
* Pre-departure Support: ELI's expert staff will be happy to assist you with planning your trip * Airport Pickup: Participants are met when they arrive at the airport in Chennai and brought to the program accommodation * In-Country Orientation: Each program starts with a 2-3 day orientation to help participants get their feet on the ground and able to navigate South India * In-country Staff Support: ELI's India coordinator has years of experience working with Volunteers, Interns, and Study Abroad Students. He is very resourceful and on call 24/7 in case of emergency. * Accommodations: Participants stay in housing associated with the project and are provided with three basic vegetarian meals a day.
- Setting Description:
- The Indian subcontinent is a complete sensual overload. The sights, smells, and sounds can at the same time be exhausting and exhilarating. It is this paradox that makes India so fascinating for so many travelers. The country is incredibly diverse in terms of geography, religion, languages, art, cuisine, and customs. South India, in particular, has a strong sense of culture and tradition, especially Hindu tradition. Tamil Nadu is the cradle of Dravidian culture, one of the oldest continuous cultures on the planet. ELI operates throughout the southern states of Tamil Nadu, Kerala, and Karnataka.
- Cost in US$ starting at USD925 please contact us for details Cost Includes Food Housing In-country orientation/Training In-country staff support Registration fees Written materials pre-departure
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program