As a participant in this program, you will expand your knowledge of sustainability topics and local efforts to preserve and protect the natural environment through direct involvement in organic farming and gardening and environmental conservation initiati
- San Carlos De Bariloche, Argentina
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Break, Winter Semester
- Work Types:
- Business, Hospitality, Sciences & Environment, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
- This unique program is in partnership with a sustainable living project located near El Bolson, Argentina – a small, friendly mountain town in the Rio Negro Province of southern Argentina which boasts the Rio Azul Protected Natural Area, part of the largest UNESCO Temperature Forest Biosphere Reserve in the world, as its backyard.
The project was conceived in part to carry out the mission of the Land Ethic Action Foundation (LEAF), a not-for-profit organization formed in 1994 with the mission of teaching and demonstrating self-sufficiency and sustainable development. By implementing the techniques developed John Jeavons of Ecology Action, the project has succeeded in bringing the benefits of Bio-intensive Mini Farming to the Southern Cone region of South America.
While the project operates a sustainably built mountain lodge which employs members of the local community and offers healthful organic meals, low-impact outdoor activities and opportunities for authentic cultural interaction to travelers from around the world in order to further its mission, volunteers also play an invaluable role in helping this experiment in sustainable living achieve continued viability.
Participants are expected to contribute 7-8 hours per day Monday through Friday to these projects and will have weekends free to visit downtown El Bolson and La Feria Regional Artesenal or explore the “backyard”.
An extensive system of trails and refugios, or mountain shelters, which lead you through the spectacular mountains and glaciers of the Patagonian back-country, is literally at your doorstep. Recreational activities such as kayaking, whitewater rafting, mountain biking, canyoning and horseback riding are also available to interested participants.
Activities will depend on the needs of the site, but can include:
-maintaining the site: preparing meals, canning, caring for farm animals, composting, etc
-assisting the Sustainability Demonstration Center, the on-site educational space.
-trail building and maintenance for low-impact use
-promoting local sustainable tourism
-working with local school to develop or remodel greenhouses
-supporting the community with on-going project such as rebuilding barns and sheds, assisting with local harvests, etc
UPCOMING START DATES:
Sustainability & Environment in Patagonia opens on Saturday November 16, 2013. This 4-week program will be available seasonally during the Southern hemisphere summer with the following start dates for the 2013-2014 season:
As a participant in this program, you will expand your knowledge of sustainability topics and local efforts to preserve and protect the natural environment through direct involvement in organic farming and gardening and environmental conservation initiatives while at the same time helping this pioneering project to advance. You will also have ample time to explore the unparalleled beauty of the Patagonian wilderness.
WHAT’S INCLUDED The following items are included in the program: -Bus transportation from Buenos Aires to Patagonia2 -Transfer in and out from the bus terminal to the project site -Welcome orientation and tour of the project site -Dormitory style accommodations -Daily meals prepared with fresh, local ingredients3 -Volunteering activities including organic farming and gardening, environmental conservation and community outreach projects -Weekly visit to downtown El Bolson and La Feria Regional Artesanal -Recreational activities including kayaking, whitewater rafting, mountain biking, canyoning and horseback riding can be added on to the program at an additional cost
- Setting Description:
- Argentina is one of the most vibrant and captivating countries in South America. The country stretches from the tepid waves in the Tropic of Capricorn in the north to the icy waters of Cape Horn. Between these extremes, the Andes tower above the Gran Chaco and the Pampas (home of the gaucho) before giving way to rugged Patagonia in the south. The incredible natural beauty of Argentina lures hikers, skiers, mountain climbers, and other adventurers from all over the world while cosmopolitan Buenos Aires, one of the world's great capitals, attracts people looking for a twenty-four hour metropolis.
- Please contact ELI ABROAD for detail!
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program