- Barcelona, Spain; Logrono, Spain; Madrid, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Program Description:
Your journey begins with an immersive orientation in Spain’s capital and largest city, Madrid. Immediately begin practicing your Spanish as you navigate the city’s lively streets and visit the Reina Sofia and Prado Museum on Madrid’s “museum mile” to see original art by Spanish artists such as Picasso and Dalí. Order tapas in local cafés as you visit the Habsburg district. Take a full-day excursion to historic Toledo as your knowledge of Spain’s history and culture deepens.
Experience an entirely different region of Spain as you and your group travel from Madrid to your homestay location. Spend two weeks immersed in a Spanish community as your Spanish language skills grow through daily interactions with your host family and local students. Visit Valencia to go on a bike tour through the Gardens of Turia, explore multiculturalism in Spain, and learn to make paella in a cooking class.
Your discovery of Spain’s cultures and regional differences continues as you and your group travel to Barcelona, Spain’s second-largest city and the capital of Catalonia. Visit Barcelona’s numerous UNESCO World Heritage Sites, parks, and the Picasso Museum. Discover some of Europe’s most intriguing architecture, as you visit Gaudí’s La Sagrada Familia, one of Spain’s most famous landmarks. Shop along La Rambla, Barcelona’s bustling central street.
- Setting Description:
- Your journey begins with an immersive orientation in Spain’s capital and largest city, Madrid. Immediately begin practicing your Spanish as you navigate the city’s medieval streets, visit the Prado Museum on Madrid’s “museum mile,” order tapas and other Spanish cuisine in local cafés, and visit the Habsburg district. Take a full-day excursion to historic Toledo as your knowledge of Spain’s history and culture deepens. Then, experience an entirely different region of Spain as you and your group travel from Madrid to your homestay location. Spend two weeks immersed in a Spanish community as you come to experience Spain’s regional differences. Your Spanish language skills grow through daily interactions with your host family. Take day trips to explore the surrounding area with your Experiment group. Participate in flamenco classes, attend workshops with a local NGO that works with youth, and learn how to cook regional specialties. The homestay community varies each year.
- $5880 USD.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- For summer 2020, we will offer merit-based partial scholarships to students who live in the Florida Keys, the Houston, TX metro area, the Seattle, WA metro area, and the Washington, DC metro area. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Based on 4 Reviews
- The Experiment In International Living was the best experience of my life!!!08/24/19Getting the chance to go to a foreign country at a young age gave me an experience that I will never forget. It gave me the happiest memories that I will hold onto for the rest of my life.Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
This was truly an experience I'll never forget. I developed new friendships, ate amazing food, and got immersed in the culture. The homestay was integral to the cultural immersion, and it was by far the best experience I ever had. I learned a lot about
appreciating the moment, and speaking up for myself, and having independence. The only part that got frustrating was when the itinerary would be changed the day of, but it never got in the way of the amount of fun I had. If I could do this experience over again, I would in a heartbeat.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Life-Changing Experience08/27/17
This summer I attended a summer abroad program in Spain through The Experiment in International Living. Throughout the trip the group visited cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Toledo and Valencia. The duration of the stay took place at a homestay location.
In the four weeks that I was in Spain I, along with my group, was brought to many historical sites and restaurants. We vistied famous musuems and had the chance to see pieces of art like Guernica and El Tres de Mayo. During the trip all of the group memebers became incredibly comfortable with one another and we are still all in contact to this day. Overall, the trip was able to change my life and give me a new perspective on the rest of the world.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- My Trip to Spain08/03/17
When I went overseas I had my doubts about Spain, and the challenges it would present. However, I soon learned my group members and my homestay family would support me throughout the trip. By far, the best part of the trip was the homestay experience.
I felt like a small part of the bigger Spanish community. When I returned home my dad said they was a big improvement with my Spanish. This program was great and I hope that I can return to Spain soon!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend