Our center intends to confront several threats, generating processes of sustainable resource management to ensure the conservation of the cloud forest, the environmental services and biodiversity it harbors. On this program you will chose to work between
- Oxapampa, Peru
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer, Year Round
- Work Types:
- Animal Sciences, Arts & Architecture, Sciences & Environment
- Program Description:
- We are developing sustainable pilot projects at the Education Center on Conservation and Sustainable Development. Located in Oxapampa, Peru, includes 15.5ha of cloud forest, two streams, riparian forest, a reforested area and cultivation areas with local fruit crops. Our center is located in the buffer zone of the Yanachaga Chemillén National Park at the Amazon basin. A massive deforestation and pressures on the remaining forests at the buffer zone, especially in areas of water production are occurring since the 50’s, producing habitat loss and water pollution.
Our center intends to confront several threats, generating processes of sustainable resource management to ensure the conservation of the cloud forest, the environmental services and biodiversity it harbors. On this program you will chose to work between a variety of projects such as: The compost project; The organic garden, Native tree greenhouse; Water Collection and Irrigation Design, Trail Maintenance, Environmental interpretation; Monitoring using various bio-indicators; Exotic species management; In vitro plant culture; Reforestation and sustainable energy and more projects.
You will be given the opportunity to choose from different projects. The program is ideal for students in biology, ecology, environmental science or related fields. Students of sustainable development, Latin American studies, or international relations will find this program relevant to their degree as well. Anyone looking to improve their Spanish language skills will have the opportunity through this project as well. The program is structured like an internship, so it is a great resume builder!
- Setting Description:
- This is an ideal project if you want to play an important role in conservation and sustainability at the high Amazon basin. This internship program is suitable for people looking for a real experience about environmental problems due to human impact. This expedition covers wide topics such as riparian forest restoration, organic cultivation, water treatment and water quality. We have a platform for tents, with access to potable water, hot showers, and dry (composting) toilets. Basic housing and food (3 meals) will be provided. We are developing a small hydroelectric project to produce clean energy. However, we still are using a gasoline generator that produces energy from 6-7 pm.
- Cost for a month is $ 2470. Taxes and wire fees not included. Housing Food Basic medical services Local Excursions Pre-departure orientation In-country orientation In-country staff support Registration fees Written materials abroad Orientation with visa paperwork Four-day homestay with a local or an indigenous family. Interns should have international health/accidents insurance. To apply send us your cv and a letter of reference. We will send you the application form. Check our site f
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program