- Quito, Ecuador
- Program Type:
- Teach Abroad
- Degree Level:
- 4-6 months, 7-11 months
- Teach Abroad:
- Certification, Placement
- Placement Audience:
- 6-12 years old, 12-15 years old, 15-18 years old
- Program Description:
The program ¨Time to Teach¨ is developed by the Ministry of Education of Ecuador, and executed by EDIFICAR Foundation. It consists in teaching English to children and adolescents from vulnerable sectors of Ecuador.
Come and be part of the experience of improving English learning in Ecuador by being a volunteer teacher in public elementary and high schools; and take the opportunity to explore one of the most biologically diverse countries in the world and a great cultural heritage.
The program consists of teaching English to students from public schools in the country
There are two teaching position options:
1. Long term position (7 months):
August 2017 to March 2018 in the Coastal Region. (Teachers accepted into the program can arrive as late as August 31st 2017)
2. Short term position (6 months):
September 2017 to March 2018 in the Coastal Region (Teachers accepted into the program can arrive as late as September 22nd 2017)
• Volunteers will work as ENGLISH TEACHERS, and therefore must understand and comply with all their professional responsibilities.
• Volunteer teachers will work for up to 40 labor hours per week (Monday to Friday). Those hours usually consist of 30 academic hours (usually 45 min.), and 10 hours of lesson planning and additional school activities (Meetings with parents and teachers, workshops, cultural activities, and others.)
• Volunteer teachers must prepare class activities for their students. Class size is generally up to 45 students, and students’ ages vary between 5 – 18 years old.
The program includes:
• LONG TERM POSITION: Airline tickets (round trip) from the volunteer's current place of residence to Ecuador, and a flight departing from the country at the end of the program.
• SHORT TERM POSITION: Airline ticket (one-way) for the return from Ecuador to the volunteer's current place of residence. (The initial flight from the country of residence to Ecuador will be covered by the volunteer).
• Visa application process handled and sponsored by EDIFICAR.
• Private, national, pre-paid medical insurance for volunteer teachers during their stay in the program.
• Accommodation and 2 meals (breakfast and dinner) provided by a host family. The volunteer is responsible for covering cost of lunch.
• Monthly living allowance for personal expenses. A total of $386 per month (Before taxes).
• Training that includes an introduction to the Ecuadorian public education system and outlines the English teaching objectives developed by the Ministry of Education. The training will also include a brief introduction to Ecuadorian culture, recommended tourist attractions, and tips for safety and security.
• The volunteer will receive basic school supplies, provided by their school.
At the end of the program, participants will be recognized for their contribution by receiving a certificate of participation after the end of the program, which will be signed by the Ministry of Education and EDIFICAR Foundation.
- Setting Description:
- This program will be executed in public schools throughout the Coastal Region in Ecuador.
Additional Program Information
- * We accept multiple program levels for our programs, including undergraduate, graduate and gap year. General requirements for participation: Being a native English-speaker or having at least a B2 English level according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). A criminal background check (apostille or with an official stamp) issued within the last six months by a competent authority in the volunteer’s country of origin/residence. Resume or Curriculum Vitae. Passport with at least 6 months’ validity. Specific requirements: Scanned copy of bachelor's degree or equivalent, or transcripts from a university (for students in their final years of studies), and/or English teacher certificate. Motivation letter (max. 500 words) explaining the reasons why the volunteer would like to participate in the TIME TO TEACH program.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program