Shadow our physiotherapeutic mentoring team at the Specialized Center of Spinal Surgery and the Spinal Cord Unit. We treat patients suffering from various diseases and conditions and we offer rehabilitation programs tailored to the needs of our patie
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Year Round
- Program Description:
The Specialized Center of Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine focuses on rehabilitation for adults and children. We treat patients suffering from various diseases and conditions such as vertebrogenic disorders, neurological diseases, patients after surgeries, injuries of locomotive system, spine surgeries, as well as, patients with internal diseases and we offer various rehabilitation programs tailored to the needs of our patients.
Yearly, we hospitalize more than 630 patients and provide treatment for approximately 4,350 out-patients within our department. In other departments we rehabilitate roughly 13,500 patients.
Only with us you know your department and the mentoring team even before you apply. What does one of our mentors- spinal unit physiotherapy Barbora- say about your placement schedule and patient cases to observe?
„The Spinal Unit provides specific rehabilitation for neurological patients with spinal lesions. Patients with tetraplegia usually need longer and more comprehensive physiotherapeutic treatment. The process begins with respiratory physiotherapy, which includes soft chest mobilization techniques, respiratory hygiene with expectoration training and breathing exercises using breathing simulators. We use various exercise equipment, such as exercise and medicine balls, Flexi-Bars, therapeutic bands and the Therapy Master suspension system. At the same time, we work on the movement quality of the patient’s other muscle groups. We base our therapy on physiotherapeutic methods with a neurophysiological basis. Most of the time, we work with the concept of dynamic neuromuscular stabilization, proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation, the Bobath concept, and the reflex locomotion method. The exercises aren’t only performed in a lying position – they are progressively changed to a forearm strengthening position, then to crawling on all fours or a high squat. With paraplegic patients, the entire process is quicker because of the remaining mobility in their upper limbs and, sometimes, their torso. With these patients, we try to reach a level of self-sufficiency, not only in bed, but even in transitions from the bed to the wheelchair and in riding the wheel chair as soon as possible. You will see the results of individual physiotherapeutic programs in some patients as we work with them in specific therapeutic sessions.“
For whom is this placement suitable?
- This placement is ideal for you, if you aspire to become a physiotherapist, or doctor focused on spinal surgery. At this type of placement you will gain a valuable insight into all of these fields and understand better its complexity and consequencies of the injuries your future patients would deal with.
- Setting Description:
- Our program takes place in University Hospital in Motol. It is located in Prague, Czech Republic. Czech Republic is known as the heart of Europe. It is one of the most peaceful countries in the world, surrounded by its neighboring countries, Germany, Poland, Slovakia and Austria. Its position is ideal for travelling around the continent, and it is easily accessible by various means of transport. Although it is a part of NATO and EU for a long time, it has its own currency called the Czech crown, which has a great exchange rate against the USD, GBP, and other currencies. This will make weekend trips very affordable for everyone!
- 1199 USD. The tution includes: Shadowing your mentoring team 25 hours per week minimum, Tutorials and Excursions 3 times per week, Study Materials, Accommodation and Food, CHP System to control your trip with just a click, 24/7 CHP Team support.
Additional Program Information
- You need to be 17-26 years old student and speak english fluently. Certain level of maturity is necessary for this type of placement.
- Scholarships Description:
- We want to support as many young people as possible to pursue their dream of becoming a healthcare professional. Every six months we will provide a partial CHP Scholarship to one of you. We will let you know via our social media outlets.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program