What's Included: The program fee includes 9 credits tuition, internship placement, accommodations, welcome orientation, full-time in-city support, airport pickup, international medical insurance, excursions, and program closing trip to Cartagena and Isla
- Medellin, Colombia; Cartagena, Colombia
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Arts, Economic Development, Environment, Social Services, Translation, Women's Rights
- 1-3 months, 1 year
- Program Description:
- Emerging from troubled past, Colombia’s second largest city is now an attractive, vibrant, and modern metropolis located in the country’s northwestern Alburrá Valley. Known alternatively as the “city of Eternal Spring” and the “City of Flowers,” Medellín was recently named one of the top three most innovative cities in the world by the Urban Land Institute for its “progress and potential.” Cultural and social improvements have sprung up across the city, including museums, cultural centers, parks, and an extensive public library system. Medellín is also served by a state-of-the-art sustainable public transport system which includes a metro system as well as a cable-metro and urban escalator system to help residents of the steep hillside settlements known as comunas quickly and efficiently travel to the city center. The goal of the city’s extensive urban transformation is the social and economic incorporation of residents of the comunas, which serve as the home for populations of displaced persons as well as the extensive social and educational programs aimed at improving lives and livelihoods across the city.
What's Included: The program fee includes 9 credits tuition, internship placement, accommodations, welcome orientation, full-time in-city support, airport pickup, international medical insurance, excursions, and program closing trip to Cartagena and Isla Baru. Placements available: Journalism, Nonprofit, Government Offices, Business, Education, and much more!
The Medellín study abroad experience combines 3 credits of interdisciplinary coursework on the social, political, and economic contexts of social change in the region of Antioquia, Colombia with 6 credits of internship experience in placements focusing on human rights, education, and community development.
- Setting Description:
- Colombia is a fascinating country to chose for your study abroad program. Its the second most bio diverse country in the world filled with majestic landscapes; Everything from Caribbean waters, the Amazons to snow-capped volcanoes. All the while, its urban areas provide and illuminating contrast with progressive cities such as Medellin which was recently named the most innovative city in the world by the Urban Land Institute for its “progress and potential.” Known as the city of "eternal spring" Medellin is recognized world wide for having one of the most prestigious dialects of Spanish due to its universalism and charismatic accents. It's the utopia for practicing and perfecting your spanish.
- $6,465, The program fee includes tuition, housing and many program expenses. See below for full details.