* A unique opportunity for students to learn about coral reef ecosystems through a multi-week, experienced-based field study program * Hands-on experience participating in fundamental & applied marine science research and conservation * Explore the Caribb
- Road Town, Virgin Island (British)
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
- The Marine Science and Nautical Training Academy (MANTA) offers this unique marine science education program in partnership with the College of Charleston. Live and learn aboard a catamaran sailboat in the British Virgin Islands while being immersed in marine science and mastering practical skills that are needed for the toolbox of any aspiring marine biologist. This includes receiving your PADI scuba diving certification, and learning the hands-on nautical skills needed to become a capable crew member on a research vessel. The course you will take is "Field Studies in Coral Reef Biology," and is taught by faculty of the College of Charleston from our floating classroom and research platform. Lectures and experiential learning are used to teach you about coral reef ecosystems. Develop and test your own hypotheses by designing and executing a short field experiment, or participating in publishable marine science research.
* A unique opportunity for students to learn about coral reef ecosystems through a multi-week, experienced-based field study program * Hands-on experience participating in fundamental & applied marine science research and conservation * Explore the Caribbean islands...learn sailing and seamanship...perform SCUBA and snorkelling based field work
MANTA is a non-profit organization that was founded by college professors and research scientists whose careers are dedicated to research, conservation, and education. MANTA provides students an oppportunity for professional development by learning current scientific concepts, critical thinking, and hands-on skills that are crucial for an aspiring marine biologist.
- Setting Description:
- The setting for this program is the beautiful Caribbean archipelago known as the British Virgin Islands (BVIs). The BVIs are made up of a cluster of dozens of small volcanic tropical islands surrounded by turquoise blue water. The scenery topside is complemented by a fascinating world beneath the sea, where coral reefs, shipwrecks, mangroves, and seagrass beds provide the ideal natural laboratory for exploration. Our floating classroom, laboratory, and research platform will sail through the diverse suite of tropical marine habitats, with a new environment and anchorage to explore each day.
- The program fee is $3725. This includes all accommodations, food, sailing, PADI Open Water or Advanced SCUBA certification (includes PADI online course fee, confined water training, check out dives, and certification), transport to/from the airport in Tortola, instructional materials, program related activities, and College of Charleston application fee and medical insurance. This does not include airfare, optional dinners ashore, snorkeling equipment, and BVI departure tax.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program