- Aix-En-Provence, France
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
- Have you ever thought about studying abroad in France, but you’ve never taken any French? Have you already taken a few years of French and really want to improve your language skills? Whatever the case, we have the perfect program for you! Semester in Aix en Provence gives you all the academic flexibility you’ll need to make your semester in France a perfect fit. Start getting excited about:
Life in southern France – It’s said that southern France is the most beautiful part of the country, and it’s no wonder. With a mild Mediterranean climate, striking scenery, historic sites, and some of the best restaurants, it’s easy to fall in love with the area when you study abroad in France.
Academics for every need – Whether you want to start taking French, polish already excellent language skills, or simply take some courses, we’ve got the program for you. Semester in Aix en Provence has flexible academic offerings taught in English and French to ensure that you’ll find what you’re looking for.
Plenty of ways to get involved – Semester in Aix en Provence offers numerous service-learning opportunities that will get you involved both on campus and in your local community. What better way to truly immerse yourself in your new home?
An engaging, easy-to-navigate French city – Aix en Provence is a great place to live and study! The city is small enough that you can walk through the downtown area in about 15 minutes, but big enough to offer plenty of places to eat, shop, and explore.
Semester in Aix en Provence is housed at the School of Humanities and Social Sciences (SHSS). SHSS offers a wide variety of courses taught in English and French, as well as French-language classes, in the following disciplines: archeology, art history, business, civilization, comparative literature, economics, education, film, government, history, philosophy, political science, psychology, studio art, theater, and the French language (beginner to advanced). In addition, if your French is advanced (at least 4 college semesters of French or the equivalent), you are eligible to take courses taught in French at the University of Aix-Marseille or enroll in the French Honors Program.
There are many reasons to study abroad in Aix en Provence, but here are a few of the key highlights that make this program unique. Diverse course offerings in English, and full-immersion French studies 2–3 excursions included Service-learning opportunities get you involved with your local community Homestays with locals experienced in hosting English-speaking students Life in the south of France The charming, historic city of Aix en Provence Close proximity to Mediterranean coast, beaches and seaside towns
- Setting Description:
- Ancient yet youthful, Aix en Provence has always been a crossroads, a place of excitement and learning. The city boasts one of the best universities in France and is dedicated to warmly welcoming its students while preserving the intellectual, visual, and cultural pleasures associated with the finest aspects of life in France. Plus, a growing number of international businesses have brought an enriching influx of people from all over the world. Being a university town, Aix naturally provides an intellectual environment. The many concerts, summer festivals, libraries, museums, bookstores, markets, and cafés have earned Aix its reputation as one of France's most engaging cities. One popular idea is to visit sites in the city where post-impressionist painter Paul Cezanne was born and where he created his many beautiful paintings. The city is highly accessible to all visitors, and is small enough that one can walk across the main part of town in 15 minutes. Aix’s proximity to the Mediter
- For current prices and dates please visit the CISabroad website.
Based on 1 Reviews
- Laissez Tomber Vos Inhibitions01/21/15
This program will provide you every opportunity to take what you want from France. If your goal is to simply find a place to study so that you can travel Europe at your leisure on the weekend, you can do just that. If your goal is to obtain certain credit
hours but to do so in a beautiful setting far different from the States, you can do just that. And if your goal is to better your French, you can do just that by fully immersing yourself in the experience of a home-stay and the night life of Aix. However, IAU has a very French way (and preferable in my mind) of facilitating this process. They will provide you all the elements and materials you need to make the leap of immersing yourself but it is up to you to make that leap. My experience was enjoyable for any number of reasons: I made French friends quickly at the bars, my home-stay was by far one of the best cooks I've ever met, I traveled rarely so I felt like a part of Aix culture as opposed to a tourist of Europe. Additionally, the wine tasting courses are superb and unique to anything that other programs would have to offer. I would fully recommend this to anyone who is willing to put forth the effort to buckling down and learning the language. The rewards are immense.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend