- Florence, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
- On Semester in Florence, you will be a local in one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations. Florence is an amazing location for cultural immersion, and Florence University of the Arts, home to Semester in Florence, focuses on creating an outstanding cultural environment where you’ll be able to nurture your talents while you study abroad in Italy. Here, you’ll experience:
Pasta, Pizza, and Tiramisu, oh my – Local, family-owned restaurants are found at every corner in Florence. Or shop for yourself in the large 2-story food market in the city center and make your own Italian creations at home.
Courses in your major, plus exciting electives – Study within your major to further your degree back home or attempt a new hobby by taking an elective such as Intro to Photography. Study Italian in Florence- there's no better place to learn!
Europe and the rest of Italy in your backyard – By air or train, Florence is near hundreds of other Italian cities just waiting to be explored. Or, if you’re feeling extra adventurous, hop on a plane for a weekend in Spain! It's all possible when you study abroad in Italy.
An art-lover’s paradise – View world-renowned masterpieces in museums such as the Uffizi Gallery, then purchase your own treasure from a local street artist.
History brought to life – Listen to a class lecture on the powerful Medici family, then walk minutes from campus to see where the family lived during the Renaissance!
You can select courses from the following departments: College of Liberal Arts, College of Fine and Visual Arts, College of Life Science, College of Environmental Studies and Human Services, College of Business and Economics, and College of Science, so you’ll certainly be able to find the courses you need. Plus, all courses, except for the Italian-language courses, are taught in English. Please note that all students studying in Florence for the semester must take at least one Italian language course.
If you've ever wanted to study abroad in Italy, check out our Semester in Florence study abroad program. Here are a few of the key highlights that make this program unique. Study abroad in English or Italian Excursion options to Lucca, Pisa, and Sienna; Rome is only 3 hours away by train Small classes of 8–20 students A full cultural calendar allows you to enjoy Florence’s best music, art, dance, and food. Study Italian in Florence! There's no better place to learn. Cook for yourself in your apartment or enjoy food from the local market and many restaurants Gym, internet, and library all on campus Everything you could ever need or want is within walking distance of the Florence city center
- Setting Description:
- Located in the heart of Tuscany, Florence (Firenze in Italian) is alive year-round with locals and tourists taking in all the beautiful city has to offer. Anyone who has been will tell you how great of a city it truly is. The mild climate invites you to walk around the city, but public buses are available for the occasional rainy afternoon. Affordable trains will quickly take you to the nearby cities of Pisa, Venice, Milan, and Rome to further explore the amazing country of Italy. Although Florence is one of the most popular Italian destinations, the city itself is manageable in size, with so much to offer! Florence is an art-lover’s dream! Visits to the Galleria dell’Accademia—home to Michelangelo’s David—the Gallerie degli Uffizi, and the Duomo are a must. Art is a great way to experience the culture and history of this wonderful city. The view from the Ponte Vecchio (not to mention the fabulous market there) will make you want to stay forever. But there’s much more to do in Firenze
- For current prices and dates please visit the CISabroad website.
Based on 3 Reviews
- Experience of a life-time10/09/17
Studying abroad was an amazing experience. Florence had so much culture and cuisine to offer. The CIS staff were welcoming and made a foreign country feel like home. I was able to travel all over Europe, meet new people, and make memories that will last
a life-time.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Once in a Lifetime Opportunity01/17/16
I studied abroad in Florence, Italy, fall 2015 through CISabroad and have no regrets! I was worried I chose the wrong location but after exploring and living in Italy, I fell in love with the city and culture! I enjoyed exploring all of the different
regions of Italy as it was easy to take a train to almost anywhere for a reasonable price. I also enjoyed how easy it was to take a plane and be in another country within a couple of hours. I was able to see and do so much and will always be grateful for the opportunity.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Experience of a lifetime!!01/12/15
I studied abroad in Florence Fall 2014 through CIS Abroad. I was very anxious going into the process because there was so much to be done. I had two advisors, Rachel and Ashley, who were the representatives for my school in Connecticut, and they were
so unbelievably helpful with everything; I couldn't even believe how easy they made the process. They walked us through the application process, course selection, visa applications, and they even booked our round trip flights, all costs included. When we got to Florence, we had transportation from the airport that brought us right to our apartments. The costs of our textbooks, programs/events through the study abroad school, and day trips in Italy were ALL covered by CIS which was such a pleasant surprise. Our advisors and representatives were always checking in with us to make sure that we were having the best possible study abroad experience. It was one of the best experiences of my life and I am so glad I did it through CIS Abroad!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend