- Cape Town, South Africa
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Rolling Starts, Spring Semester, Summer, Winter Semester, Year Round
- Work Types:
- Animal Sciences, Arts & Architecture, Business, Computer Science, Education, Engineering, Fashion, Hospitality, Journalism, Law, Medical, Nursing, Psychology, Religion, Sciences & Environment, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
Take your studies, your future career, and your travels to the next level in Cape Town. Intern in South Africa during the semester or summer in this energetic, funky city. We’ll tailor your internship placement to match your professional and personal interests. Known as the “Mother City,” Cape Town is hugged by a sparkling bay and the impressive Table Mountain. Between Cape Town’s pristine beaches, history, popular vineyards, and exhilarating safaris, you’ll be sure to find intrigue and adventure every single day.
- Setting Description:
- Cape Town is one of South Africa's most stunningly beautiful cities. The impressive Table Mountain rises over the city, where cable cars give you tremendous views of the South African coastline. The city itself is cosmopolitan, with easy access to shopping, nature, professional sports, and plenty of beaches. Cape Town is one of three capital cities of South Africa—the other two being Pretoria and Bloemfonteim—and serves as the legislative branch of government. The city has also played host to major sporting events, including the semifinal matches of the 1995 Rugby World Cup and the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Cape Town offers a wealth of opportunities for all kinds of travelers. Vineyards dot the countryside and produce some of the world's best wines. If you're a history buff or interested in the cultural side of South Africa, visit museums like Robben Island and District Six Museum. Finally, you can take a guided safari tour or explore one of the many nature reserves.
- Please visit our website for price and dates details.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Please visit our website for current offers.
Based on 1 Reviews
- A Moment in the Mother City10/01/18
Before choosing to come to Cape Town I had my heart set on going abroad to London. I was told the best place to get my hands deep in dirty in my major (social work) would be an internship in Cape Town. My college roommate was also from Cape Town. So when
I heard that the most rewarding path was the one that lead to Cape Town, South Africa, I was intrigued. It just felt like more than a coincidence. I realized that I would get the opportunity explore and experience the culture and country of my best friend in the very same way that she was getting to do in my country back in America. While also getting to do real social work! So I made the decision and said what the heck. Let's go to Cape Town. I was skeptical at first. My dream had always been London. It didn't take much time to forget all about my past desire to travel to London once I actually arrived in Cape Town. In a few short days I was immersed in a culture that was not my own. Cape Town is a brilliant hodge podge of languages and cultures. I've spent 8 weeks in Cape Town and I haven't regretted a single moment of it. My internship with Khulisa Social Solutions allowed me to work side by side with the social workers, police officers, lawyers, and magistrates of the Cape Town Community Court. I actually got to work in the jail cells of the court. Never in my life would I have gotten to do something like that back in America. My time in Cape Town has helped me realize my strengths, weaknesses, biases, and has especially opened my eyes to the things I take for granted back at home. I came here two months ago absolutely terrified of what a summer in Cape Town would have in store for me. I am so thankful that I had the VACorps staff standing behind me throughout my entire journey. If I needed anything I knew I had someone to call. I'll never forget how Carmen held my hand to help me get down the mountain after hiking to Elephant's Eye Cave. If that doesn't give you an idea of how much VACorps cares then I'm not sure what will. Maybe its mushy to say this, but the VACorps staff and the interns have such a strong relationship. We are truly one big family. I am going to miss the relationships I've made here. And I am definitely going to miss the stunning scenery that Cape Town proudly displays. (Definitely won't miss the public transportation system) Just know that I am not the same person I was eight weeks ago. Not everything I've experienced in Cape Town has been good and beautiful. Some of it was downright uncomfortable. But those are the moments that I will never forget. Those are the moments that made my short time in the Mother City the best summer of my life.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend