- Merida, Mexico
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
STUDY ABROAD IN THE YUCATAN PENINSULA
The STEM + Society program invites students to enroll in courses taught in English in the natural sciences: earth sciences, life sciences, physical sciences, and chemistry as well as six levels of Spanish language classes. Your home base is Mérida: a beautiful, historic, colonial city centrally located on the Yucatán Peninsula and just 20 minutes from the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. In less than a two-hour drive one can discover biodiverse nature reserves, UNESCO archaeological sites, and historic towns where you lunch alongside locals while working on your Spanish language proficiency. Researchers and students are in good company, as Mérida hosts more than a dozen universities and several national research facilities.
Come to Mérida and custom your study abroad term on the Open Campus Block Program. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks, select your courses from a wide range of subject areas. Stay in Mérida the entire time or spend other blocks at our Global Institute locations in Berlin, Buenos Aires, Cape Town, London, Madrid, Monteverde, Paris, Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Santiago, Shanghai, and Sydney.
- Setting Description:
- From its hundreds of Mayan ruins and colonial architecture to its exceptional food and bustling city life, the Yucatán is a complex hub of ancient and modern culture. In fact, the city of Mérida hosts one of the largest intact indigenous populations (60%) of any Latin American city. Look for Mayan culture as part of daily in the modern city – its regional foods, music, textiles and traditions are all rooted in centuries of tradition. Above all, Mérida is a safe, modern city filled with wonderful people among its shops, restaurants, universities and museums.
Additional Program Information
- Students need to have an overall GPA of at least 2.5.
- Scholarships Description:
- CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program