■ Providing courses, in English, on economics, business, politics, foreign policy, philosophy, history, art and literature, women's studies, etc. ■ Immersing students, who so desire, in Chinese language. ■ Engaging in internships at institutions and corpo
- Beijing, China
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Economic Development, Social Services, Translation, Women's Rights
- 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 1 year
- Program Description:
- Established by American University in Washington, D.C., the China Studies Institute has been in China since 1985. While maintaining our institutional affiliation with AU, the program began to operate independently and accepting students from other universities in fall of 2004, since then more that a thousand students had studied with us in Beijing.
¦ Providing courses, in English, on economics, business, politics, foreign policy, philosophy, history, art and literature, women's studies, etc. ¦ Immersing students, who so desire, in Chinese language. ¦ Engaging in internships at institutions and corporations. ¦ Traveling extensively to all regions of the country. Full time immersion Chinese program (up to 17 credits):27 hours/week in-class instruction,with less than 5 people per class. Non-immersion Chinese (6 credits): for students who want to studies Chinese part time, 9 hours/week with class size under 10. Content courses taught in English (3 credits per course): Course in a wide range of areas that are related to China all taught by top-tier scholars in the field. Study trips and internships
From a historical perspective, we are in the right country, in the right cities, on the right campuses, at the right time, and with the right people.
- Setting Description:
- China Studies Institute is situated in the renowned Peking University (PKU) in Beijing, the political and cultural center of China. Our students will live on PKU's campuses along with China's top intellectuals and most talented students. Immersion Chinese students will live in off-campus apartments with Chinese roommates or local home-stays as they are required to speak Chinese even when out of School.
- 1. Fall Semester: $11,750. 2. Spring Semester: $11,750. * These fees include tuition for all courses, housing, 2 weeks travel around China, student activities and excursions in and around Beijing. * International airfare, health insurance, food and books are responsibilities of students. 4. Summer Language: $5,000. *The fees include tuition, housing, student activities and domestic travel. 5. Summer Internship: $3,500. (This includes the $1,000 deposit) *The fees include internship placement