- San Ignacio, Belize; Dangriga, Belize; Toledo, Belize
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Summer, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
Contemporary indigenous groups draw on a long history of working with medicinal plants from their surrounding environment, while taking a holistic approach to health care. Around the globe many traditional health practices are quickly fading, however traditional healers remain widely consulted and essential members of their communities. This course will offer an introduction to the world of traditional health as it is practiced and integrated into daily life in southern Belize. The health practices of Maya and Garifuna populations will be explored in-depth, with a focus on their vitality and relevance to people’s lives. Through in-class lectures and discussions, readings, guest lectures, visits with traditional healers and other elders, tours of a medicinal plant garden and medicinal plant walks with healers, students will have the opportunity to experience unique health traditions as they have been passed down through generations and begin to understand their form and function in today’s world.
This course carries three credit hours, transferable to home institutions with prior approval. The nature of this field course connects students to a variety of different ways of looking at health, beliefs and healing through the use of traditional medicinal plants. The student will interact with Maya, Creole and Garifuna cultures.
- Setting Description:
- Students will study in English -speaking Belize in Central America. The course work takes place is several locations in Belize, visiting clinics, traditional healers, medicine trails and cacao growers.
- Winter - $2,995 one course, summer $2825 one course, $4,995 for two summer courses. $2,995 for the winter session USD. Course fees include the cost of the course, housing, transfers from and to the Belize international airport, transportation for field trips, breakfast and some other meals. Airfare and insurance are not included.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- see provider for details
Based on 2 Reviews
- My experience09/20/17This experience was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I enjoyed traveling around the country with only three other people in the course. The small course size made learning more enjoyable and more meaningful.Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Health, belief and ethnomedicine review09/20/17
The program was a pretty eye-opening experience. As my first true abroad experience, it was all pretty humbling. It was fantastic to learn about the great range of plants and listen to the healer's stories, and learn about their wealth of knowledge.
And Belize is just a beautiful country. I'm glad I got to travel around and see all the diversity it possesses, in the cultures and landscape.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend