- San Ignacio, Belize; Dangriga, Belize; Toledo, Belize
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- MayMester Intersession, Summer, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
This experiential learning course provides an opportunity to explore the rich and diverse cultures of Belize through the lens of food, while gaining an understanding of the forces shaping the global food system. Students will learn about the dynamic and complex food practices in Belize, and how they are connected to Indigenous traditions, anti-colonial struggles and current global political and economic forces. Students will use all their senses, including their sense of taste, as they travel the country meeting people engaged in food production and preparation. Students will also be introduced to the key concepts and debates in the field of food studies and gain conceptual tools to critically analyze and discuss global food issues. This seminar-style course features discussions of readings, class presentations, site visits, tastings and meal preparation. This is a rare opportunity to benefit from interactive and experiential learning in an English-speaking country with food cultures and practices similar to many non-English-speaking countries across the Global South.
- Setting Description:
- Belize is a beautiful, tropical, English speaking country. It is very close to North America, located in the southeastern part of the Yucatan. It is a Central American and Caribbean nation. This class will move from place to place to engage with different cultures and their food and agricultural practices. Belize is a great place for first time study abroad experiences.
- $2,825 summer, $2,995 winter USD. Tuition covers housing, transportation to and from the airport and for classes, breakfast (some courses cover more meals) Belize credits for transfer. Fees do not cover insurance or airfare.
Additional Program Information
- must be 18 years old
- Scholarships Description:
- Scholarship opportunities for students in professional associations.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program