- Athens, Greece
- Program Type:
- Teach Abroad
- Degree Level:
- 4-6 months
- Teach Abroad:
- Placement Audience:
- Program Description:
The Cambridge DELTA Diploma is a professional qualification at level 7 as regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) on the Qualifications and Credit Framework and given premium product endorsement by NEAS in Australia
It is postgraduate in level and although it is not a Masters on its own, most UK universities will give Delta holders exemptions and credits on their MA courses related to the subject of teaching English, Linguistics or Applied Linguistics.
In the Cambridge Teaching Qualifications Framework, the Delta is at the level of Proficient to Expert Teacher.
After the CELTA, the Cambridge Delta is one of the most sought after and well-respected qualifications internationally. It is recognised by all British Universities and is fast becoming a prerequisite for some of the most interesting jobs in our field all over the world.
Delta holders find themselves eligible for more interesting careers including positions as Directors of Studies and Teacher Trainers – the Delta is a basic prerequisite for those seeking to become CELTA trainers.
The course is organised around three modules, each of which is assessed separately. During the last module (Module III) candidates may focus on an area of specialism from a wide range of topics(e.g., Young Learners, ESP, Exam Classes, and many more: a full list is available on request). but covers other needs and age groups of interest to each candidate as well.
The course is offered in two modes
- face to face in Athens completing input over 8 weeks
- online for 24 weeks with teaching assessments completed over 3-4 weeks in Athens
All other support beyond the course, e.g. supporting Module 3 assignments or revision work for module 1 exams is offered online
The Athens visit can take place in the summer, in the fall or in late spring.
The three Modules
The course is organised around three modules, each of which is assessed separately. Here is the focus of the three modules:
Understanding Language, Methodology & Resources for Teaching
Assessed via written examination offered twice annually in June & December(more here).
Candidates can prepare individually but must take the written assessment at an approved centre.
Developing Professional Practice
Assessed via portfolio of background assignments & observed teaching.
To complete Module 2, attendance of a course including seminars, guides reading, directed observations and assessed teaching practice is obligatory.
Option 1: Extending Practice and ELT Specialism
Assessed via an extended assignment on one of the ELT specialisms listed here:
- Business English (BE)
- Teaching young learners/young adults (specified age group required with 5-year range e.g. 8–13, 14–9) (YL)
- English for Special Purposes (ESP)
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- Teaching examination classes (EX)
- Teaching one-to-one (1to1)
- ESOL learners with literacy needs (ESOL)
- CLIL/Embedded ESOL (teaching English through subject/work-based learning) (CLIL)
- Teaching monolingual classes (MON)
- Teaching multilingual classes (MUL)
- Teaching in an English-speaking environment (ESE)
- Teaching in a non-English-speaking environment. (NESE)
- Teaching learners online, through distance/blended learning (DL)
- Teaching English to learners with special requirements e.g. visual/hearing impairment, dyslexia, ASD (SR)
- Language development for teachers (LDT)
- Language Support (e.g. EAL on mainstream teaching programmes; specialist skills support such as supporting writing needs) (LS)
Option 2: English Language Teaching Management (ELTM).
Assessed via an extended assignment on one of the following specialisms listed below:
- Academic Management
- Human Resources Management (HRM)
- Customer Service
- Setting Description:
- Centrally located within easy reach of most sites of interest in the city of Athens to the first time visitor CELT Athens is a fully equipped Cambridge ESOL Recognized Teaching Awards Centre with an excellent library and internet access for its trainees.
- 2800 for all three modules (integrated course) EUR. It is possible to follow each module separately Online part time courses are paid over a number of monthly instalments (6 in number)
Additional Program Information
- Applicants must have at least one year’s experience of classroom teaching experience at a variety of level and hold a first degree in English or have appropriate qualifications which allow them to teach in their country; in addition, they should have attended a teacher training programme such as a CELTA, COTE or an equivalent Certificate in TEFL.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program