Ceiba engages in a global studies curriculum that ties back to a student’s chosen community service project. Gap+ participants are directly involved in facilitating this learning and are encouraged to critically evaluate their own place in the global soci
- Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Gap Year
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
- Ceiba Gap+ is a transformational mix of community service learning with project management and leadership skill development in Antigua, Guatemala. Much more than a travel program, gap+ encourages participants to develop identities as global citizens through deep cultural and language immersion and the reflective confidence to engage all kinds of communities with respect, patience, and an open mind. Added to all this is an adventure learning component from ancient Maya ceremonies through the complex present day. Ceiba affects at every level and our small groups ensure that your experience is personal and lifelong.
Ceiba engages in a global studies curriculum that ties back to a student’s chosen community service project. Gap+ participants are directly involved in facilitating this learning and are encouraged to critically evaluate their own place in the global society Gap+ is also an experience in program development and evaluation, and interorganizational communication. In addition is Ceiba’s unique Spanish curriculum that highlights the language needed to live like a local.
Ceiba is founded in lifelong learning and developing those skills and competencies that are most sought by universities and companies in their future leaders. Conscientious community service, global appreciation, 21st-century collaborative skills, and cross-cultural communication; Ceiba is a comprehensive experience in all these for Gap+ participants. With a focus on these important characteristics, Ceiba engages the whole person in true critical and creative thinking. As a nonprofit organization, we believe that the value is in the tremendous developmental opportunities for all students and our focus is always on the absolute quality of your experience.
- Setting Description:
- La Antigua Guatemala was the country’s capital before Guatemala City. It is protected as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is proud of its traditions of rich indigenous and colonial customs. Antigua is a safe, metropolitan town of 30,000 residents, aking for a wonderful mix of cultures. The stunning physical beauty of Antigua, nestled in a valley amongst three volcanoes, only complements the incredible kindness, generosity, and caring of this fantastic community.
- The Gap+ program is $6,000. Included are: accommodation in either an Antigua guesthouse or with a Guatemalan host family; breakfast, lunch, and dinner prepared in your choice of accommodation, except for Sundays; all community service placements and costs associated with project activities; all Gap+ Ceiba-sponsored extracurricular activities; personal Ceiba cell phone with calls to Ceiba staff and other Ceiba participants for free; enrollment in an Antigua Spanish-language school for intensive