Hours: 10 hours per week of Intensive Spanish Language instruction in addition to 20 hours per week of the teaching field experience. Credits: Students who take at least four weeks of Spanish language classes will be eligible to receive 3-4 course credit
- Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala
- Program Type:
- Teach Abroad
- Degree Level:
- 1-3 months
- Teach Abroad:
- Placement Audience:
- 0-6 years old, 6-12 years old, 12-15 years old, 15-18 years old
- Program Description:
- Are you looking to spend time giving something back and gaining teaching experience? Need a change of pace? Want to jumpstart your career and perfect your Spanish? Then the Spanish & Teaching Field Experience in Antigua program is for you!
By participating in this program, you’ll spend a minimum of two weeks teaching English to local students and learning Spanish. You will live with a host family and best of all, you’ll walk away with a killer resume, professional contacts, lifelong friends, and a new perspective. Are you ready for the experience of a lifetime?
Hours: 10 hours per week of Intensive Spanish Language instruction in addition to 20 hours per week of the teaching field experience. Credits: Students who take at least four weeks of Spanish language classes will be eligible to receive 3-4 course credits, depending on the language level, for an additional fee. Language of Instruction: Spanish and/or English Minimum Spanish Proficiency Required: Beginner. Before your program, you will complete Bridge’s Online Spanish Placement test to determine your proficiency level and match you with the class and placement that are right for you. Minimum GPA: 2.5/4.0 Teaching Placement: Work includes teaching English (grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, speaking, writing, listening, etc.) to primary, middle, and high school students approximately four hours per day. Most volunteers work in the English Learning Rooms at small community centers, orphanages, or shelters for street children. At these projects, volunteers help teach regular English classes and also tutor the children and help them with their homework.
Bridge was founded in 1983 and continues to be a world leader in the field, dedicated to providing innovative services in language, education, and travel. Every year, Bridge's centers provide quality language instruction, teacher training, and professional development to thousands of people across the globe.
- Setting Description:
- Why Study in Antigua? Guatemala is known for Mayan roots and vibrant culture, making it a great place for adventure & language travel. Timeless architecture, archeological ruins, and volcanoes looming overhead. The Mayan ruins of Tikal are to the north, Lake Atitilan and its small Mayan pueblos are to the south, and the Pacific coast beaches are to the west. Because of its shape, the country is bordered by four different countries—Mexico to the north, Belize to the northeast, and Honduras and El Salvador to the southeast; as well as Pacific Ocean and Caribbean coasts. The country’s abundance of biologically unique ecosystems makes the entire MesoAmerican region a biodiversity hotspot. The Classic period of MesoAmerican civilization corresponds to the height of Guatemala’s Maya Civilization and is represented by countless sites throughout the country, and today “Guatemaltecos” are very proud of their indigenous cultures. La Antigua, Guatemala is situated at 5,000 feet above sea level
- Cost vary yearly, dependent on program length and excursions added to the program.