Hours: 20 hours per week of the medical field experience in addition to 10 hours of Intensive Spanish Language instruction. If the student would like to enroll in private medical Spanish classes instead of the included general language instruction, the nu
- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Rolling Starts, Year Round
- Work Types:
- Medical, Nursing, Sciences & Environment
- Program Description:
- If you’re studying to be a healthcare professional and want to experience what the field of medicine is like in other countries, then BridgeAbroad’s Spanish & Medical Field Experience program in San Jose, Costa Rica is for you!
You’ll spend at least two weeks studying Spanish and experiencing the healthcare system in Costa Rica first-hand. You’ll assist with patient care and administrative work at a local healthcare facility. It’s a great way to test out a potential career field and to build your Spanish skills as you jump headlong into Costa Rica’s fascinating culture.
Hours: 20 hours per week of the medical field experience in addition to 10 hours of Intensive Spanish Language instruction. If the student would like to enroll in private medical Spanish classes instead of the included general language instruction, the number of hours per week would reduce to five hours (for no additional cost). Credits: Students who take at least four weeks of Spanish language classes will be eligible to receive 3-4 course credits, depending on the language level, for an additional fee. Language of Instruction: Spanish Minimum Spanish Proficiency Required: Beginner. Before your program, you will complete Bridge’s Online Spanish Placement test to determine your proficiency level and match you with the class and placement that are right for you. Placement Details?: Healthcare placements are generally located in specialized living facilities and involve working with people who are physically or mentally disabled, assisting elderly patients, or working with HIV infected children or adults. Volunteers assist with all facets of caring for the patients, including general care and companionship, distributing/sorting medications, feeding, bathing, and ensuring patients’ overall well-being. This might include changing beds, conversation-talk therapy, workshops (e.g. exercise, dental care), and even arts and crafts. Admission Requirements: Must be a student of medicine or related health science field Some fields (such as pediatrics) may require applicants to have direct experience in the field
Bridge was founded in 1983 and continues to be a world leader in the field, dedicated to providing innovative services in language, education, and travel. Every year, Bridge's centers provide quality language instruction, teacher training, and professional development to thousands of people across the globe.
- Setting Description:
- Why Study in San José? Costa Rica literally means ‘the rich coast’, and it is indeed a tropical paradise. Pristine rainforests lead to white sand beaches, and the “pura vida” (pure life) pace of life is relaxed. Costa Rica is a great place to begin your adventure: located in Central America and bordering Nicaragua to the north and Panama to the south. A chain of volcanoes and mountains—part of the Andean-Sierra Madre chain—runs the length of the country and separates the Caribbean Sea on the east coast from the Pacific Ocean on the west coast. In addition, Costa Rica has over 1,000 miles of gorgeous white-and-black sand beaches, copious amounts of sunshine, world-class sport fishing, snorkeling and surfing! San José is the capital city of Costa Rica and is the gateway to both the Pacific and Caribbean coasts as well as Costa Rica’s rainforests. The city is located in the Central Valley and has a population of 1.2 million people. Situated at 1,150 meters (3,773 feet) above sea level
- Cost vary yearly, dependent on program length and excursions added to the program.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program