- Port-Of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago; Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
WHY BCA ST. AUGUSTINE
- Live and study in a place known for its religious tolerance and multiculturalism in the Caribbean country of Trinidad and Tobago – often called the “Rainbow Country” in part due to the ethnic mix of Amerindians, Africans, Asians, Europeans and Middle Eastern Trinbagonians.
- Connect with local organizations or non-governmental organizations focused on disability services, the environment or gender and women’s rights by volunteering during your time in Trinidad.
- Gain a fresh perspective and experience a different teaching style at the University of West Indies, St. Augustine, which offers more than 300 accredited programs across 24 schools, centers and institutes. The university’s faculty and students come from more than 40 countries creating a diverse and exciting learning environment.
CULTURAL ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
As a native of Trinidad, your BCA St. Augustine Resident Director is the perfect cultural guide for your semester abroad. Through activities in St. Augustine and around Trinidad, your RD will help you have a Trinidadian experience and connect to the cultural and ecological diversity of the country in locations like the Caroni Swamp, a large mangrove wetland, or beaches that are the nesting grounds for the endangered leatherback sea turtle. The BCA signature excursion varies by semester, but may include a multi-day excursion to the autonomous island of Tobago known for its wide, sandy beaches and biodiverse tropical rainforest.
The University of the West Indies (UWI) offers world-class accredited academic programs. The campus provides modern teaching and learning centers with committed lecturers who are highly accessible to you. You will experience a diverse learning environment with faculty and students from more than 40 countries. The university offers programming in business, humanities, engineering, gender studies, natural sciences and social sciences. Plus, you’ll have the opportunity to take courses such as The History of Carnival in Trinidad and other courses in the Department of Festival Studies to explore Trinidadian culture and carnival year-round!
Trinidad and Tobago is the most southern Caribbean nation positioned off the northern edge of South America. The city of St. Augustine in Trinidad is the birthplace of soca and calypso music as well as the steel pan. It’s also home to the largest Caribbean carnival which showcases the country’s creativity and talent as participants wear extravagant handmade costumes and dance in the streets for hours. As a BCA student, you can learn about the significance of carnival through courses and activities at the university. You can also join in on campus activities and clubs, or volunteer in the local community to further connect with local people.
- Setting Description:
- Located on the island of Trinidad — in the Lesser Antilles off the coast of Venezuela– BCA’s program in the city of St. Augustine features on-campus living, outstanding academics, and cultural immersion opportunities at the University of the West Indies (UWI). Enjoy a vibrant multi-ethnic society that actively celebrates its diversity. Study in one of the most important university systems in the English-speaking Caribbean, University of West Indies (UWI) has produced 18 heads of state, three Nobel Prize winners, and over 60 Rhodes scholars. Easily access the beaches and coral reefs of Tobago via the nearby city of Port of Spain. It’s a two hour fast ferry ride or 15 minute plane ride. Tobago is an oasis of serenity with lovely beaches, coral reefs, and colorful fish. There is the opportunity to go scuba diving with certified dive operators and instructors. The island also offers and endless variety of water sports and eco tourism activities.
- Tuition information is updated each term on the BCA website.
Additional Program Information
- Student studying in the USA.
- Scholarships Description:
- BCA Study Abroad has committed to increasing the number of study abroad students from diverse ethnic, faith, sexual orientation & gender identity and socio-economic backgrounds. Visit the BCA website for more information.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program