- York, United Kingdom
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
York College plus Barnes Guardianship gives young students aged 16 to 19 a great opportunity to study academic subjects with English students in England. You may choose to join us for the cultural experience or to improve your English language skills in academic subjects, or both! Whatever your reason for applying this fantastic opportunity gives students from all over the world the chance to become more independent, to make new international friends and learn about the very inclusive style of teaching in England to prepare students for university courses; all of which sets you apart from other university applicants.
Students can study from September until Christmas for a rich cultural experience studying abroad or choose to complete the full two year A Level programme – a qualification recognised by universities all over the world.
As former school teachers Barnes has chosen to partner with York College from all the UK colleges, since we believe York College has the best international offering available.
The facts about studying at York College are impressive:
- York College is an Ofsted (the UK Government’s official rating) graded ‘Outstanding’ UK college based in York – one of the most ancient cities in the world. The historic walled city has been voted the most beautiful city in the UK and is a very popular and safe study centre for students.
- York College is ranked the third best General FE UK College for A-Level results by Department for Education in 2018.
- The college offers over 40 A Level subjects and 80 Vocational programmes making it one of the largest offering of all UK colleges.
- Many students progress onto top universities across the world, including several Russell Group institutions in the UK.
- There are less than 1% international students in college giving you lots of opportunities to make English friends; plus international student’s benefit from additional English Language and British Culture sessions during their time in the college.
- Beyond the college day the Barnes family guardianship organisation provides a single point of contact from the initial enquiry through until after the course is complete. Barnes looks after students and their host families in York to ensure that each student has the best opportunity to excel whilst on the course at York College.
Both students and parents will always deal directly with the partners in Barnes - Ric Carby and Rachel Carby (neé Barnes) – and have access to our mobile phones at all times. As parents of four girls we know what is required from a host family looking after you in York. Beyond following all the latest safeguarding guidance for caring for young people whilst living within a host family, our final decision about using a host family is based on whether we would feel comfortable for them to look after one of our daughters.
We enjoy giving young people the best chance to excel whilst in England and we look forward to helping you!
Please note: we never ask for any payment or commitment until you have received an offer from York College and you are happy to proceed with the arrangement. We can always arrange for you to visit York College and the area before making your decision.
- Setting Description:
- York is a beautiful historic walled city English people and visitors fall in love with. It is rich with medieval landmarks, winding streets, cafés, shops and street entertainers. York is one of the most ancient cities in the world (founded by the Romans in 71AD). Steeped in history with modern facilities and excellent transport links York attracts 25,000 students each year due to its thriving universities – the highest proportion of any city in England. Parents will also be interested to learn that York was voted the safest city in the World in the Post Office Insurance Survey in 2015. York College provides state of the art facilities following a complete rebuild in 2007 and students enjoy living within close proximity to both the college and the city centre from the caring host families we place them with.
- 17300 GBP. Price per academic year (includes college course, host family, food and guardianship). Fall Semester price - 9,490 GBP. Full details of the package can be found at http://ukcollege.co.uk/price-of-uk-college.htm No payment or commitment is required until the college has offered you a place and you are fully confident that you would like to accept it. A deposit of 1,000 GBP will then secure the booking. Insurance package available at ~ 6 GBP per week.
Additional Program Information
- Minimum age: 16 years old on 1st September just before your course begins. English requirements (unless already studying in an English-speaking country): IELTS 6.0 with 5.5 in all areas. Evidence of international qualifications and/or skills equivalent to GCSE, Level 3 or higher (if you haven't taken external exams then an above average school report is normally acceptable). A positive recommendation from a school teacher that knows you well. Applications by 30th June for an early September start.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program