- Cuernavaca, Mexico
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Designed specifically for undergraduates majoring in Education, this program aims to develop teachers that are knowledgeable and curious about world regions and global issues, attuned to diverse perspectives, and are able to communicate across cultures and/or in other languages.
The Global Educators Semester is open to undergraduate students from any institution.
With our experiential approach to learning, students will immerse themselves in the realities of everyday life in Mexico with host family stays, field placements at local schools, and included excursions in the area. You will meet with educators from a variety of institution types, people who have experienced both the Mexican and US education systems, as well as a visit to a rural community to learn about their education system.
Courses include International Education, Diversity in the Schools, Learning and Development in an Educational Setting, Orientation to Education. In addition, students can choose from a variety of courses that satisfy general education requirements such as Contemporary Mexican Art, Spanish language (18 options available), Biology, and Latin Dance.
All coursework is in English and there is no Spanish language pre-requisite.
- Setting Description:
- The CGEE Study Center in Mexico is a 15-minute walk from downtown Cuernavaca and the main city plaza, in the neighborhood of San Antón. CGEE is well established in San Antón and has many friends and close connections in the neighborhood, including some of the homestay families. CGEE is located at the top of one of the large ravines that runs through the city, offering a dramatic view from the nearby bridge that leads to downtown. Because of the ravine, there is a 100 foot waterfall right in the neighborhood, a local eco-tourist attraction. Right across the bridge, students will find a large public garden/park, an independent movie theater, the Cathedral, and several popular cafés. CGEE's Mexico site includes two houses across the street from each other with ample living and study space for students, a library, computer labs and wireless internet, kitchen and dining areas, and outdoor patios and gardens.
- $18,615 USD. Includes: in-country transportation, housing, all meals, program-related travel and excursions, insurance, tuition, fair wages for staff and speakers
Additional Program Information
- No Spanish language prerequisite (coursework is in English), however we do recommend at least one semester of College-level Spanish. Undergraduate sophomore standing. Approval from applicant's institution (study abroad office or equivalent).
- Scholarships Description:
- A variety of need-based and diversity scholarships are available.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program