- Cape Town, South Africa
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
This university is synonymous with activism and politics, and since its ground-breaking foundation in the 1950's, it has played a key role in the emergence of a democratic South Africa.
Study abroad at the University of the Western Cape would open up an array of exciting course options to you, in an historic and beautiful setting. Since its ground-breaking foundation in 1959, UWC played a pivotal role in the development of democratic South Africa. You’ll notice President Nelson Mandela appointed many prominent faculty and alumni to his cabinet and Archbishop Desmond Tutu once served as Vice-Chancellor. While Liberal Arts and Humanities hold an important place at UWC, equally as important and strong are the faculties dedicated to practical fields such as Education, Law and Health Sciences.
Arcadia study abroad students will have access to all faculties and courses at UWC, provided the prerequisites can be met, and will take an average of six modules per semester of study. All courses are taught in English with the exception of advanced language courses. In addition to your coursework at UWC, all students are required to participate in the cornerstone course, "Introducing South Africa: History, Politics, and Culture," which is intended to provide a forum for reflection and analysis on current issues and challenges facing South Africans.
Arcadia University opens the doors to new experiences, different academic learning, people, cultures and perspectives so you can build your own lifelong learning and memories:
- Explore a new world – excursions, activities, events, …
- Get to know yourself - then change! Gain a new view of the world and your place in it.
- Rely on us for support: 9 centers covering 11 countries worldwide
- Boost your résumé – employers AND graduate schools.
- Setting Description:
- Located 15 miles from Cape Town city center, the University has its own train station and access to an abundance of outdoor activities in the stunning surrounding landscape. You'll settle in easily with a large variety of clubs, societies and facilities to enjoy. Such as rim flow, Olympic sized swimming pool, radio society and the student newspaper. Arcadia program students at UWC will be housed in group houses along with Arcadia program students at the University of Cape Town. This arrangement will enable UWC students the opportunity to get to know and socialize with students enrolled in other Arcadia programs in the Western Cape. All housing will be equipped with double or single bedrooms, communal bathrooms, kitchens for self-catering, and a lounge. Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. For a complete list, please visit our website.
- Visit our website to find out more about tuition costs and what's included when studying abroad with Arcadia
Additional Program Information
- 3.0 - Recommended 2.8 - For Consideration
- Scholarships Description:
- Every dollar helps! Check out our website for different funding sources for study abroad...
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program