API was founded in 1997 by four women dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable study abroad programs for U.S. students. Their diverse experiences abroad, first as students and later as professionals, shaped their philosophy on the value of international education as a means of promoting intellectual curiosity, cultural sensitivity, and holistic personal development. API firmly believes that extensive pre-departure preparation, coupled with strong support services on-site, facilitates academic, cultural and linguistic learning. Within the supportive environment of the API programs, API students are encouraged to explore their host communities and become increasingly independent and confident in their own abilities. API also believes that study abroad should be an activity that is accessible to as many students as possible, and in that vein, seeks to include as many components in the program price as possible for students at a low cost.
API programs offer U.S. college and university students the opportunity to earn college credit toward their degree programs in the U.S. by completing coursework in a wide variety of disciplines, including such fields as business, the social sciences, medical studies and the arts. In combination with its academic offerings, API strives to maximize each student's potential for personal growth through well-designed orientation programs, extensive cultural and social outings, carefully selected housing options, and a variety of excursions. API takes student safety seriously and provides extensive safety information, medical and evacuation insurance, and 24-hour emergency access to directors on site to ensure that students stay healthy and happy abroad.
API has grown rapidly since its founding nearly 20 years ago. We now send more than 4,000 students and participants abroad annually to over 50 cities within twenty-nine countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Oceania. Our success is owed in large part to the dedication of our staff, both stateside and abroad, and the strong relationships we have cultivated with partner universities. We strive to provide individual attention to every participant and attract students from colleges and universities across the United States, public and private, large and small.
Programs from API
- APIThis program is designed to help students who want to study abroad in Grenoble improve their written and spoken French (via grammar, vocabulary and language activities), as well as increase the students’ knowledge of various areas of French culture.
- APIStudents will earn 6 semester credits during the summer for the API French Language and Culture Studies program. Course work will focus 10 hours a week on language instruction and 10 hours a week on cultural class electives.
- APIIn addition to Spanish language, students in this program can study Cuban culture, film studies, literature, education, public health, and much more! Learn beyond the classroom with API's knowledgable staff and unique excursions.
- APIBeginning through advanced-level students may elect to take a Spanish language course at the appropriate level during the Jan term. Coursework will be supplemented by numerous cultural activities and excursions.
- APIStudents who study abroad in Cuba with API during the summer can take Spanish courses at their level, and then depending on their level and term can take courses on "the Cuban Experience" and Cuban cinema.
- APIAPI students in Krakow complete courses offered in English by the Jagiellonian University of Krakow’s Interdisciplinary Program
- APIWhether students choose to focus on Polish studies or take classes in other disciplines, living and studying in Krakow provides an incredible education.
As an API student at the University of Leeds, you will choose from a wide range of undergraduate classes open to British and international students.
- APIAPI students at the University of Limerick (UL) take classes alongside Irish students in the following disciplines: business, education, engineering, humanities, informatics and electronics, Irish studies and science.
- APICourses typically run from September through May, or September through September. Students typically attend for 1-2 years at a time – not on a semester basis. The following page details areas in which graduate studies and degrees are available.