API was founded in 1997 by four women dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable study abroad programs for U.S. students. Their diverse experiences abroad, first as students and later as professionals, shaped their philosophy on the value of international education as a means of promoting intellectual curiosity, cultural sensitivity, and holistic personal development. API firmly believes that extensive pre-departure preparation, coupled with strong support services on-site, facilitates academic, cultural and linguistic learning. Within the supportive environment of the API programs, API students are encouraged to explore their host communities and become increasingly independent and confident in their own abilities. API also believes that study abroad should be an activity that is accessible to as many students as possible, and in that vein, seeks to include as many components in the program price as possible for students at a low cost.
API programs offer U.S. college and university students the opportunity to earn college credit toward their degree programs in the U.S. by completing coursework in a wide variety of disciplines, including such fields as business, the social sciences, medical studies and the arts. In combination with its academic offerings, API strives to maximize each student's potential for personal growth through well-designed orientation programs, extensive cultural and social outings, carefully selected housing options, and a variety of excursions. API takes student safety seriously and provides extensive safety information, medical and evacuation insurance, and 24-hour emergency access to directors on site to ensure that students stay healthy and happy abroad.
API has grown rapidly since its founding nearly 20 years ago. We now send more than 4,000 students and participants abroad annually to over 50 cities within twenty-nine countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Oceania. Our success is owed in large part to the dedication of our staff, both stateside and abroad, and the strong relationships we have cultivated with partner universities. We strive to provide individual attention to every participant and attract students from colleges and universities across the United States, public and private, large and small.
- APIThis program is designed for students who want to learn more about Catalan art, culture, and identity. The courses provide students with tools to set the frame for a broader perspective on the Spanish and European cultures, political systems, and society,
- APIThis program is intended for students who want to study intensive Spanish language over the summer in Barcelona in an immersion setting.
- APIThis program is a great fit for students looking to a professional career in tourism or hospitality or for any student with an interest in these fields. Use this programs as a jumping off point to explore all that Barcelona - and Spain - has to offer!
- APIStudents in this summer program may elect to take only German language coursework, coursework in English, or a combination.
- APIThe Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST) was specifically created by one of Germany’s top universities to offer North American and international students cultural and business courses focusing on Germany and its role in Europe.
- APIStudents in the summer language and culture program at the International Language School of the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin may choose from a number of challenging courses including art history, German and regional studies, cinema, and more. Instructio
- APIThis program is designed for business, marketing, and sociology majors and minors, as well as students with an interest in international relations, who want to complete courses in their major while studying abroad in Bilbao, Spain.
- APIStudy engineering and other STEM courses in English and improve your Spanish while immersing yourself in the rich Basque culture of Bilbao!
- APIClasses in this program are designed for international students who want to increase their Spanish language proficiency in an immersive setting.
- APIDesigned for art majors/minors, this program offers a dynamic opportunity to practice and participate in studio arts classes with students from Spain, as well as students from across Europe and the world.