API was founded in 1997 by four women dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable study abroad programs for U.S. students. Their diverse experiences abroad, first as students and later as professionals, shaped their philosophy on the value of international education as a means of promoting intellectual curiosity, cultural sensitivity, and holistic personal development. API firmly believes that extensive pre-departure preparation, coupled with strong support services on-site, facilitates academic, cultural and linguistic learning. Within the supportive environment of the API programs, API students are encouraged to explore their host communities and become increasingly independent and confident in their own abilities. API also believes that study abroad should be an activity that is accessible to as many students as possible, and in that vein, seeks to include as many components in the program price as possible for students at a low cost.
API programs offer U.S. college and university students the opportunity to earn college credit toward their degree programs in the U.S. by completing coursework in a wide variety of disciplines, including such fields as business, the social sciences, medical studies and the arts. In combination with its academic offerings, API strives to maximize each student's potential for personal growth through well-designed orientation programs, extensive cultural and social outings, carefully selected housing options, and a variety of excursions. API takes student safety seriously and provides extensive safety information, medical and evacuation insurance, and 24-hour emergency access to directors on site to ensure that students stay healthy and happy abroad.
API has grown rapidly since its founding nearly 20 years ago. We now send more than 4,000 students and participants abroad annually to over 50 cities within twenty-nine countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Oceania. Our success is owed in large part to the dedication of our staff, both stateside and abroad, and the strong relationships we have cultivated with partner universities. We strive to provide individual attention to every participant and attract students from colleges and universities across the United States, public and private, large and small.
Programs from API
- APIAPI offers programs in Edinburgh and Stirling, Scotland as well as Harlaxton, Leeds, and London, England. Students can engage with the multiculturalism and thriving art scene of the UK's cities as well as enjoy the history and culture of the countryside.
- APISummer students in Prague can choose from a variety of coursework, in English, while taking time outside of class to explore this unique European capital that's filled with charm, character, and Czech delicacies!
- APISummer students in Prague have the ability to take business, marketing, globalization courses, and more (in English) at VSE University of Economics. Students who choose to study in historic Czech Republic may find that they never want to leave!
- APITOTAL CREDITS: 6-8 Semester credits While earning university credits during your summer break, you will explore the spectacular scenery of New Zealand's North and South Islands and gain valuable international work experience. The program begins with a tw
- APIStudents spend one month each in three of Lorenzo de’ Medici – The Italian International Institute’s (LdM) four locations, and follow a structured program of five 3-credit courses, which together comprise a unique investigation into the roots of Western c
- APIComplete a virtual internship with an international organization to differentiate your resume, earn essential skills that employers value, and grow your professional network.