API was founded in 1997 by four women dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable study abroad programs for U.S. students. Their diverse experiences abroad, first as students and later as professionals, shaped their philosophy on the value of international education as a means of promoting intellectual curiosity, cultural sensitivity, and holistic personal development. API firmly believes that extensive pre-departure preparation, coupled with strong support services on-site, facilitates academic, cultural and linguistic learning. Within the supportive environment of the API programs, API students are encouraged to explore their host communities and become increasingly independent and confident in their own abilities. API also believes that study abroad should be an activity that is accessible to as many students as possible, and in that vein, seeks to include as many components in the program price as possible for students at a low cost.
API programs offer U.S. college and university students the opportunity to earn college credit toward their degree programs in the U.S. by completing coursework in a wide variety of disciplines, including such fields as business, the social sciences, medical studies and the arts. In combination with its academic offerings, API strives to maximize each student's potential for personal growth through well-designed orientation programs, extensive cultural and social outings, carefully selected housing options, and a variety of excursions. API takes student safety seriously and provides extensive safety information, medical and evacuation insurance, and 24-hour emergency access to directors on site to ensure that students stay healthy and happy abroad.
API has grown rapidly since its founding nearly 20 years ago. We now send more than 4,000 students and participants abroad annually to over 50 cities within twenty-nine countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Oceania. Our success is owed in large part to the dedication of our staff, both stateside and abroad, and the strong relationships we have cultivated with partner universities. We strive to provide individual attention to every participant and attract students from colleges and universities across the United States, public and private, large and small.
Programs from API
- APIAPI students who study abroad in Thimphu will be able to directly enroll with Bhutanese students! API students will also participate in a for-credit internship with a local or international government agency or NGO.
- APIAPI students who study abroad in Thimphu will be able to directly enroll with Bhutanese students. Students will also participate in a for-credit internship with a local or international government agency or NGO.
- APIThe principle goal of this program is to provide students with an opportunity to learn in a real research and excavation environment while gaining a comprehensive understanding of ancient Etruscan culture and archaeological methods.
- APIAPI invites students to discover the essence of Italy while studying and living in beautiful and historic Tuscania.
- APIAPI students have the opportunity to earn valuable credits through service-learning and internship experiences with LdM in Tuscania!
- APIStudents who elect to study abroad in Tuscania with API at Lorenzo de’ Medici – may take 1 or 2 courses for 3-6 credits per four-week term; alternatively, they may elect to pursue a 6-credit workshop course. Wide variety of coursework available.
- APIGain valuable internship experience in the field of business this summer in Valparaiso, Chile!
- APIStudents who choose to study abroad in Valparaíso in API’s Chilean Culture and Spanish Language Program have the opportunity to complete 6 semester credits of language and culture coursework.
- APIThe Integrated Studies Program at the Universidad Técnica Federico Santa Maria (UTFSM) offers students the opportunity to study abroad in Valparaíso and take courses at one of the most highly ranked universities in Chile in both English and Spanish
- APIAPI students studying at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso (PUCV) have the option of taking Spanish language courses at the beginning, intermediate or advanced levels with other visiting international students.