API was founded in 1997 by four women dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable study abroad programs for U.S. students. Their diverse experiences abroad, first as students and later as professionals, shaped their philosophy on the value of international education as a means of promoting intellectual curiosity, cultural sensitivity, and holistic personal development. API firmly believes that extensive pre-departure preparation, coupled with strong support services on-site, facilitates academic, cultural and linguistic learning. Within the supportive environment of the API programs, API students are encouraged to explore their host communities and become increasingly independent and confident in their own abilities. API also believes that study abroad should be an activity that is accessible to as many students as possible, and in that vein, seeks to include as many components in the program price as possible for students at a low cost.
API programs offer U.S. college and university students the opportunity to earn college credit toward their degree programs in the U.S. by completing coursework in a wide variety of disciplines, including such fields as business, the social sciences, medical studies and the arts. In combination with its academic offerings, API strives to maximize each student's potential for personal growth through well-designed orientation programs, extensive cultural and social outings, carefully selected housing options, and a variety of excursions. API takes student safety seriously and provides extensive safety information, medical and evacuation insurance, and 24-hour emergency access to directors on site to ensure that students stay healthy and happy abroad.
API has grown rapidly since its founding nearly 20 years ago. We now send more than 4,000 students and participants abroad annually to over 50 cities within twenty-nine countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Oceania. Our success is owed in large part to the dedication of our staff, both stateside and abroad, and the strong relationships we have cultivated with partner universities. We strive to provide individual attention to every participant and attract students from colleges and universities across the United States, public and private, large and small.
- APIStudy with API at one of New Zealand's top universities in the most populous city - Auckland. University of Auckland is ready to welcome international students to its wide variety of course offerings and vibrant campus community.
- APICalling all aspiring filmmakers! Gain experience in the TV industry with U. Auckland's filmmaking program this summer with API!
- APIThe Free Elective program at ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering offers students with or without a background in design the opportunity to learn from among the top design minds in Catalonia and Spain.
- APIStudents who are looking to study abroad in Barcelona over the summer and take business and international studies courses in English at an elite academic institution are good candidates for this program.
- APIThe Hispanic and European Studies Program provides beginning through superior-level Spanish speakers the opportunity to take a variety of courses in Spanish or English at one of the most prestigious universities in Barcelona.
- APIStudents in this program take a combination of Spanish language and culture courses at the prestigious Universitat de Barcelona.
- APIThe Integrated Studies Program provides advanced and superior-level Spanish speakers with the option to take advanced language courses, as well as a wide variety of course offerings in other disciplines.
- APIThis summer program is intended for students who want to study intensive Spanish language in an immersion setting. This program is offered in multiple sessions throughout the summer, perfect for any student's schedule!
- APIThis program is designed for students who wish to combine their studies of the Spanish language with elective coursework taught in English.
- APIStudents who are looking to study abroad in Barcelona over the summer and take courses in English are good candidates for this program.